what eats Green Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g and recently had an algae problem it seems to be cleaning up. The problem is the hair algae seems to be relentless and nothing in my cleaner crew will touch it.

Cleaner crew:
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Porcelain Crab
10 blue leg hermits
10 Nerite Snails
10 Nassarius Snails

Is there anything i can get to get rid of this nuisance.

The proper question is how do I stop the fuel source for this nuisance algea. Buying creatures to get rid of it is only a band aid approach. Read this link to see how to combat it.

Ive done it all... My nitrates are around 5, phosphate 0.25 and plenty of water flow, water changes weekly, pull off as much as possible lights are at 8 hours. Live rock filter along with another filter with regular filter media.

Mexican Turbo Snails are good for eating green hair algea but I would follow MELOSU link you shouldn't have any issue if you follow what the links says....

what eats Green Hair Algae - Water changes.
phosphate 0.25 - Um, .25 PO4??? See above...Cut *Way* back on your feedings. In all my readings, the highest percentage of po4 issues are self-induced via over feeding.

My $0.02

As to directly answer your question, my fighting conchs made quick work of hair algea before they expired.

I am just coming out of an unbelievable hair algea bloom, and I did that by 1.) cutting my lighting time in half 2.) Doing an all told 100% water change a week 3.) Using a mesh bag of phosguard to filter my return water and 4.) cut feeding to every third day.

Ive done it all... My nitrates are around 5, phosphate 0.25 and plenty of water flow, water changes weekly, pull off as much as possible lights are at 8 hours. Live rock filter along with another filter with regular filter media.

If you have a measurable amount of phosphates then you have way too much in your system. The phosphate is probably much higher and you are getting a false reading because the algae is eating it up. Test your source water for phosphates and you may want to get a phosphate sponge or some GFO.

I tested my whater source and it did have phosphates present (0.25). The water is advertised to be RO/DI and is the cleanest i can get in my location. Is there something i can add to remove phosphates?

Too bad your tank is only 10 gallons. Rabbit fish totally destroy hair algae. They love it.

Back
Top Bottom