What else do i need to get my first corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i have a 45 gallon tank. Bak Pak skimmer. 60 lbs live rock. A couple maxi jet 1200's and a Rena 300w smartheater. I do need new lights however because i cheaped out first and went with a 65w coralife pc. I thinks lights is all i will need.

Is there any websites out there that teach the basics of growing a reef?

also for a 30" light i think i will have to get rid of my canopy which i dont want to do that badly, but if i have to just to have coral it would be worth it. But is there a way i could modify this?

Could you possibly use a retrofit setup and put the lights into the canopy? I know a lot of people do this. I do not know much about it, however I know it looks like a good possibility.

I thought about that. I should probly go to the lfs and see what those look like so i will be able to figure out how it could be done.

Your best bet if buying a retrofit set is to order online. I would only assume you would save money. Enough research and you can learn anything. I bought my nova extreme pro online for $350, and at the lfs it would atleast be $450.

I dont like the canopy look. I have VHO retofits and a reflector dome over them. The bulbs already have an internal reflector and the dome recaptures any stray lighting that escapes from there. Here is some pics of what it looks like.

100_1670.jpg

100_0972.JPG

Back
Top Bottom