what else should I know about carpet anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Guys,

I have been doing some research on the carpet anemone and I believe i want to get one. I have a 55 gallon reef aquarium with a seaclone 100 protein skimmer, 3 powerheads, uv sterilizer with powerhead, hob filter, and for lighting i use t5ho lighting 4 bulbs with each 54w. I have one powerglo that is 18000k and one marine glo lighting (idk the k but its an actinic bulb) the fixture and the other fixture has 2 10000k bulbs in it. All my parameters are good and the tank has been up for 3 months now (everyone says wait a year i know but I have been doing good so far and wanna try it). I was wondering with my lighting if i could get this type of anemone? Also what else should I know about carpet anemones beside the basic stuff liveaquaria has posted and other basic care levels on the internet? Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks,
Albie

I had this one for about 1 month everythng was perfect.. After it Atemy four year old tang n damsel it went downhill nit sure why?? But was told by LFS that they usually have 50% survival rate anyway n don't last .. Not sure how true this is but good luck.!!

Attachments

• image-699557755.jpg
    image-699557755.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 181
Btw I removed it before it was too late . There after last saddle clown died who was attached to it .. ;(

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

They say your tank should be a year old before getting an anenome. Lighting should be fine. If you do get one feed it once a week

what about a bubble tip anemone or is there any other kind that are easier? I would also like for my ocellaris clown to host in one, i know its all based on the clown and this may never happen but there is always a chance, so is there one better for this?

There is always a good possibility,, and you can train them. I don't know if there are ones that r better then the others

Either way nems need very stable tanks, which is why they say to wait a yr. If you were to check your paremeters several times a day an immature tank will have slight fluctuations, whereas an established and mature tank does not. At leastcthats what my research on getting a nem has shown

kurtyboh

Just throwing my .02 cents in, I purchased a small green carpet a while back and ignored the "aggressive" behavior listed on many sites in regards to that specimen. I always wondered if my clowns would host it after Ive seen so many videos of it happening...besides the fact that the carpet is in my opinion the most beautiful of the anemones...the electric green is insanely cool...
Anyways, I had 4 clowns, 1 small hippo tang, and some cleaner shrimps. Overnight, on the day I purchased the carpet, 2 clowns disappeared, and the next day, I found the head of one of them laying by he anemone base. It digs itself and sticks its base on the bottom glass. Once it does that, it widens its body, creating a HUGE "stomach" and opens its tentacles.
At night, after the lights were out, I took a glimpse and as i turned the lights on, its tentacles were extra wide open, and it extended its body, making it at least 2.5 times larger! It was a giant trap!! I freaked out.
On the second night, my tang disappeared,my last 2 clowns gone, and you could tell all of the animals in the tank passed by it scared to **** ...they passed by it cautiously, and in my opinion its not worth it to have your hobby turn into a horror movie, when you dont know what will be still alive on the next day...
I decided to take it back to the fish store, but when I tried to reach to it and grab it, it contracted itself and it had dug some sort of tunnel all the way underneath my rocks! Only a small piece could be reached, unless i was to take all my rocks out...I was freaked by how that creature makes its move in the tank and without your notice, it takes over everything!
I waited until it expanded again, and went straight to its body and was able to take it out. After I pulled it with lots of difficulty, I found a pile of bones of my dead fish next to it...so sad...
DO NOT GET ONE!! Those things are like inviting the devil to your house.

Lol. Good story. By the way take that sea clone 100, grab a ball pean hammer and start swinging cause that's all it's good for

i have a seaclone 100 and imo it works great but thats probably just me i have it tuned perfect

reefcowboy said:
Just throwing my .02 cents in, I purchased a small green carpet a while back and ignored the "aggressive" behavior listed on many sites in regards to that specimen. I always wondered if my clowns would host it after Ive seen so many videos of it happening...besides the fact that the carpet is in my opinion the most beautiful of the anemones...the electric green is insanely cool...
Anyways, I had 4 clowns, 1 small hippo tang, and some cleaner shrimps. Overnight, on the day I purchased the carpet, 2 clowns disappeared, and the next day, I found the head of one of them laying by he anemone base. It digs itself and sticks its base on the bottom glass. Once it does that, it widens its body, creating a HUGE "stomach" and opens its tentacles.
At night, after the lights were out, I took a glimpse and as i turned the lights on, its tentacles were extra wide open, and it extended its body, making it at least 2.5 times larger! It was a giant trap!! I freaked out.
On the second night, my tang disappeared,my last 2 clowns gone, and you could tell all of the animals in the tank passed by it scared to **** ...they passed by it cautiously, and in my opinion its not worth it to have your hobby turn into a horror movie, when you dont know what will be still alive on the next day...
I decided to take it back to the fish store, but when I tried to reach to it and grab it, it contracted itself and it had dug some sort of tunnel all the way underneath my rocks! Only a small piece could be reached, unless i was to take all my rocks out...I was freaked by how that creature makes its move in the tank and without your notice, it takes over everything!
I waited until it expanded again, and went straight to its body and was able to take it out. After I pulled it with lots of difficulty, I found a pile of bones of my dead fish next to it...so sad...
DO NOT GET ONE!! Those things are like inviting the devil to your house.

That is HORRIBLE and the reason I will be getting a bubble tip!

Back
Top Bottom