What extra additives to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was chatting with a guy at the LFS and he suggested to add iron and iodine and also to get some stuff to add some calcuim.
Any suggestions. I dont ahve any corals other then what came on my LR and I dont plan to have any until I upgrade my lights (6mths down the road) I do have some inverts though.

No need to worry with any additives right now. Your regular water changes will take care of what is needed for the inverts. Also the rule of thumb is never dose anything that your not testing for. Even then you need to know where the right levels are so your not overdosing. :wink:

You will only use addtives as needed. Alot of nutrients and beneficial calcium and such will be replenished by your REGULAR water changes. When you get your reef up and running would be a good time to TEST for things such as Calcium, Alkalinity, ect.....

aaaa.....ok....so far i either use the LFS salt water (.39/gal isnt bad) or i get distilled water and mix it myself.
I started out with my tap but I dont want to use that for water changes until i envest in a RO unit.

Never use any additives/supplements unless you're testing for them with a quality test kit, and you're certain you need to increase the levels. Iodine/iodide, for example, quickly becomes toxic and will wipe out all inverts, then fish, as well as the beneficial bacteria in the live rock.

Back
Top Bottom