Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What fish/corals to put??

Hello all. Im a newbie into this hobby. I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with around 30lbs of live rock , a canister filter, a rio nano skimmer and a CPR aquafuge hob refugium. My tank crashed about 4 weeks ago .I had a yellow tang(I know ..a rookie mistake), 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab. I was wondering if any of you could recommend what fish/corals to put in there.right now I have a small damsel and 2 small hermit crabs in there. Thanks for the help

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why did it crash? Did you have to re-cycle the tank? How old is the tank, and what kind of lighting do you have?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Welcome to AA!

If you do consider getting corals, you are either going to have to get rid of the canister or do weekly cleanings on the media (by swishing it in old tank water). The canister will act as a nitrate factory producing more nitrates (which reef tanks need nitrates to be at 0).

What kind of lighting do you have? How many watts?

I would recommend getting rid of the damsel and replacing it with something else. Most damsels can and will be aggressive to other tanks-mates by either chasing them away from their territory or fighting.

As far as the rest of the 'fish' stock, Im not sure. You could get some more hermits, snails, etc to make a nice Clean up Crew.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

The tank is about 3 months old. i had to recycle the tank. After the crash, i recycled it for about 3 more weeks. I've heard bad things about the canister which is why i got the refugium. The refugium currently has live rock and cheateau algae(not sure if i spelled it right). I'm considering putting some live rock rubble in one of the compartments of the canister. Would you recommend me getting rid of it?? if yes, then what filter should i go for.
As far as lighting is concerned, i have 2 lights one actinic and one regular. they are 24 inches long. i'll have to check the wattage but they are both t5's
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

Would a pair of clowns do well? Also which corals do I go for? Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks again guys
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

No filters, no canisters. I do not know why people suggest these for SW. So pointless, just stick with a skimmer that is all you need. What kind of lights do you have?

How and why did you tank crash? was it do to nitrates? do you have test kits?

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you rinse the cannister out weekly, like stated above, it will be ok to keep. it's not necessary though. well, what i would suggest is to click through this-
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
they have care requirements for each fish listed. if you see something you like, you can post it here and get a second opinion.
there are too many to list.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
No filters, no canisters. I do not know why people suggest these for SW. So pointless, just stick with a skimmer that is all you need. What kind of lights do you have?

How and why did you tank crash? was it do to nitrates? do you have test kits?
I think my tank crashed because the nitrates and ammonia levels spiked. i had no skimmer and no refugium back then. just the canister. one day i did a 20% water change and the next day everthing was dead. i checked today and all levels are 0 (nitrate , ammonia , phosphate) . the ph levels are 8.0.this is using an API test kit. i have a twin tube t5 lighting with actinic as well as 4 moonlight leds. my current skimmer is a rio nano skimmer and it seems like its not doing its job. any skimmer around 100$ that you could recommend??
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
if you rinse the cannister out weekly, like stated above, it will be ok to keep. it's not necessary though. well, what i would suggest is to click through this-
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
they have care requirements for each fish listed. if you see something you like, you can post it here and get a second opinion.
there are too many to list.
Thanks Doug. I see that youre a regular here and help people a lot. i never got to thank you for helping/advising in my last thread when my tank crashed. Thanks again
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no problemo. it's my pleasure!

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com