what fish have you lost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well everyone, long story short my 125 sprung a leak and I consequently lost 4 fish... my black volitan lionfish, powder brown tang, snapper, and australian harlequin tusk... I wanted to start a thread dedicated to lost fish of now or past.. please feel free to include pics if you'd like.

I'm so bummed about your losses. i totally know the feeling. I think you were around when I lost 6 fish in my 125g within a week. Of the 6 fish were my very first 2 sw fish, my ora black clowns. It was a horrible time and almost made me give it all up.

On a brighter note though, I've had a sick cichlid in a 10g tank for almost a year. he was dying when I moved him in and he has hung on for so long. His body is all deformed now and he cant really swim but he is still eating and looks good other than the deformed part. I know one day he die but I am impressed with how long he has held on. Spirited little fish!

Wow....to lose 4 at once. Very sorry to hear that.

Just found the firefish yesterday. He jumped. Rip.

Since starting my tank this summer I have lost, for various reasons, (1) Flame Angel, (1) sixline wrasse, (2) Chromis, (1) diamond goby.

The flame was due to my beginner mistake (stirring up the sand-bed, while rescaping) - sixline was never found, (1) Chromis was beat up and died at the goby's front door which I believe took him out too, and finally the (2) Chromis died, again I believe from being beat up in the rocks.

TLTGF said:
Since starting my tank this summer I have lost, for various reasons, (1) Flame Angel, (1) sixline wrasse, (2) Chromis, (1) diamond goby.

The flame was due to my beginner mistake (stirring up the sand-bed, while rescaping) - sixline was never found, (1) Chromis was beat up and died at the goby's front door which I believe took him out too, and finally the (2) Chromis died, again I believe from being beat up in the rocks.

So what did stirring up the sand bed do? Release toxic gas trapped in pockets? That why it died?

I'm pretty sure I stirred up some old nasty... It was before I knew it was a bad idea. I had completely removed all the liverock and caused huge sand storms- then replacing the rock I was scooping and digging in the sand which is 5 or six years old, so who knows what nastiness it holds.

Yes carey I was around for when that happened, I sat in disbelief as it all happened. And yes stirring up the wakened can kill fish by releasing toxic gases. I can't believe so many people have lost so many fish.. guess it truly is part of the hobby

I had a diamond goby jump out the back of my tank and a fire fish that jumped out and landed 3 feet away on my desk. Get this I have egg crate over my tank. The only possible way they could get out would be where I had to cut out the egg crate for the overflow and return line. It just goes to show you fish will find the dumbest way to die.

I wish I would've known of this site before starting my betta tanks, because I've lost some nice bettas due to "unknown at the time" issues.

IMG_20110930_210830-1.jpg

My most recent lost was my white crown-tail named, Starr.

Durring my great purge i lost my banded archerfish, a leopard spot scat, 2 molly (one survived the purge his name is now superman) To this day i believe it was the ick cure i used that did them all in and as such only treat with home remidies. Also learned the hard way that redtail sharks can jump really really high lol. to the point where they will hop tanks (had a few that were really good at it and constantly hopped back and forth)

Losing fish sure does stink...People who never kept them just don't get it..It is nice to be able to come somewhere and vent about it and people actually get it ......
Sorry for everyone's losses ..
I lost a chocolate tang years ago which i grew out from a juvi,lost a blonde naso in QT(refused to eat)
lost a flamehawk who was bit in half by my humu,and just recently lost my maroon clown and my angel due to a power loss..
Also lost a FW black Rhom ,,he was about 15 years old
6531504485_57b5548c1a_z.jpg

4714622100_5336de4041_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom