What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjbones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did my 3 rd water change..( also did my monthly cleanup - cleaned p skimmer, cleaned what needed to be).everything that I usually did, I did. Before I went to pour the water back in, I noticed the water was a little cloudy..triple checked the salinity and it was what the tank was at, 1.025. Once I poured the water in, the tank got very cloudy. Weird? What happened. This is the first time this has happened to me and was wondering if anyone ever hAd this happen to them and/or explain to me what happened. Put the water in about 15 mins ago and it's starting to clear up. Worried fish would die, have beelooking in and can see them(and none are floating). Thank god. Anyone?

maybe when you poured the water in you stirred up the sand bed

Is it a white cloudiness? It's probably a bacterial bloom. It's happened to me before and should clear up in a day or two. You probably "cleaned" too much. As long as fish are acting normal you should be good.

I only dod a 5 gallon water change in a 40 gallon. It wasn't the sand. as I was pouring it in I saw the cloudiness From the mixed water spread to the tank. Before I put it in I noticed it was cloudy. It didn't get cloudy once I poured it it.

The cloudiness is probably from you cleaning and removing some of the bacteria that helps keep the water clear.

But the water was cloudy in the bucket with the water I wa adding... It wasn't like I poured it in and it instantly went cloudy. The cloudiness went from the bucket n spread into the tank. Very weird.

Shoal I have not addedvthevwater, seeing it was cloudy in the bucket?

You should let it sit with a heater and ph at least overnight before using it. 24 hors would be better. There are some very complex chemical reactions taking place and the salt mix needs to stabilize before using it

Did you match the tank SG?
Did you match the tank temperature?

I usually do a 24 hr wait but nitrate n ite was staring to show- very minimal. . It was always nitrite nitrate n Amon 0. So did water change asap that i saw it creep in

Do you have space for a big garbage can? It's a great practice to always have change water ready for situations like this. I love, love, love, Rubbermaid Brute cans. They are strong as ...... I used to use the tubs, but the larger ones break. For a 40 gal, you should get a 20-25 gal container and always have mixed sw ready. It comes in handy and you know it's aged.

i have a 5gallon bucket that i use for my water changes. i usually let it sit for about a day w/ heater.

update: woke up this morning and the cloudiness was gone. fish are all doing great.

My water always goes cloudy when I mix it up. I do it in a garbage can and let it mix for a few days. Take it as I need it. I find it is a chemical reaction when you add your ph.

I think it is a very small amount of calcium that gets kicked out of solution. Happens whenever I do a water change of any size, especially if the salt mix was fresh and didn't sit at least 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom