What is a good temp? is my too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a digital temp gauge and put the probe in the sump and the reading is about 84 F degrees
is that too high? I only have NO running on it but the problem is the room its in is a additional with poor insalation and we basically keep it shut so the room stays pretty warm, especially since its summer.
I really cant afford a chiller (cheapest I have seen was about $100 and Im not sure ifs a good one)
should I get a lil fan for the top...
The hood is not complete closed althought the only part that is open is the back.

84F is a bit on the high side. Get a room fan to blow over the surface of the water. This should lower it by a degree or two. Just make sure that there is absolutely NO danger for it to fall in! 8O

I installed a 10 inch fan in my base that blows across my sump, and will soon be installing (2) 120mm computer fans to blow over the surface of the main tank. HTH :D

Yeah. You should definitely get some fans in there a the very least. 84 degrees isn't too bad, but what do you keep your heater at? If the temp reaches 84, set your heater to 82 degrees so the temp won't fluctuate too much during the day. HTH

Mike

I am having a similar problem.

Its still too cold during the evening to have the air on, but during the day it is getting warm.

My temp is staying 82-84.

I turned the heater down all the way to 0 to make sure it stays off during the night (the cool-down time)

I normally keep some water in a bucket sitting around for top offs and changes but I have been finding I need to use fresh water (because it is cooler) to lower the temperature.

The light I am getting sometime will have 2 fans in the top which I hope will keep things cool (right now I just have a strip with no fans)

The problem with turning the heater down, or removing it causes the temp to fluctuate too much in a single day. This is very stressful to your fish. If the temp is staying between 82-84, then set the heater within a couple of degrees of where it stays during the day. At night, it can drop too low with no heater causing many problems for you. HTH

Mike

I keep mine between 81-82 degrees. I woudn't go any higher than 84 though. 78-79 is actually on the perfect side IMO, but it is hard to keep with MH in the summer time, so I adjust the heater to come on if it drops below 81 so the temp only fluctuates a couple of degrees.

Mike

i dont think my tank has ever dropped below 80 room temp. i keep my heater at 78-79 to make sure if it gets low but.. since i have 2 computers in thsi room and a few other electronics it keeps it pretty warm...

i think you can get regualr comp. fan's to attach to teh side of the tank to cool it some..

Mine is 79.2-81.4 (just checked the digital). My heaters are set at 76 I think (basically, they are just a backup).

zacdl said:
I normally keep some water in a bucket sitting around for top offs and changes but I have been finding I need to use fresh water (because it is cooler) to lower the temperature.

Top offs are always done with freshwater, not saltwater.

Will a little fan drop the temp enough??
Anyone have a chiller? I might as well look into getting one cause if the heat is this high now....it will be worse once i upgrade my lights.
I dont think i need one of those huge expensive ones....

I just have 2 fans doing the work for me. I wish chillers weren't so expensive or I would order one as well. I just can't get the wife to budge on that one. :roll:

Mike

I put my heater on 72, and my tank is still saying in between 80 and 82. It won't cool down and when my tank light is on it goes up a little bit.????

misek37 said:
I put my heater on 72, and my tank is still saying in between 80 and 82. It won't cool down and when my tank light is on it goes up a little bit.????

You shouldnt have the heater on??? Try leaving the bottom doors open to allow ventilation ...my temp stays at 78-79 with lights on. Chiller is set to go on at 80 degrees n I have 220 gallon

Back
Top Bottom