What is a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is what the Hawaiians call it:
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

I have seen pictures of it but I have never figured out what it is. Some sort of tang? What is it??? I've also seeen it in the reefs when I was there, it was kinda grey. What is it? I'm not an expert at saltwater but am just curious, how hard are they to keep?

It is a Rhinecanthus rectangulus aka Reef Trigger, it's the Hawaiian state fish.

Attachments

• image-1869273030.jpg
    image-1869273030.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 193
This is my Picasso trigger, also called a Humu-Humu ,,or painted trigger...A lot of people do mistake it for the Rhinecanthus rectangulus as being the state fish of Hawaii ,but the one above is the state fish...Its one of two triggers in my tank and is VERY aggressive and has killed 3 fish i tried to add in the past...Not for a community tank at all..eats all and any inverts ..I have had ime for almost 3 years...very slow growers ..he was under an inch when i got it ,,now about 3 in
5324327402_6fc6ae13c2_z.jpg

FTMMWS why on earth is that picture not submitted to the POTM contest?
Beautiful looking fish.

Umm,,IDK ,,i just joined ,,didn't even know about a POTM,,,i have lots,,i love taking pics of my fish:)

Oh and :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom