What is a pest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have learned over time that in a garden, that anything you don't want in that particular garden is a pest or "weed". Now, I am gonna picture my tank as a garden. Are all anemones that aren't pretty a "weed"? I have a few aiptasia with a failsafe controller, I.E. calcium hydroxide. I also have a few store bought anemones. Now, this anemone identification struggle will go on forever, different identity opinions (rock, gem, curlique,mojano and their close related counterparts) and popular ideas about different anemones. My question is, if the particular anemones don't couse a problem or get out of hand is there really any worry? Are we going to throw a particular culture out of our country because they cause crime and make alot of babies,lol?

My question is, if the particular anemones don't couse a problem or get out of hand is there really any worry?
Any anemone can sting and kill corals, so in that respect they can all cause problems. Pest anemones, such as manjo or aiptasia, can multiple super fast and cause problems not only with corals, but they can sting fish.

BTW, it says your tank is a 29g...and you have "a few store bought anemones"? Exactly what kind of anemones do you have in there now?

I would definatly call that a pest. And they are curlique anemones. I won't opt for the others since they are usually pulled from a reef and need more work than I can give.

Best thing is to leave them alone and attack a few at a time with either calcium hydroxide, Joe's juice, aiptasia x or simular products. If it's only on one piece of LR then you might be able to remove the rock and treat it outside the AQ.

Back
Top Bottom