Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I built my fuge from the DIY one that Gordon has designed. It is only 10% of my tank size, but I still reap the benifits. The design allows it to sit next to the main tank and becomes a show tank of its own. With an small used aquarium, some plastic tubing, sand and and a small pump, I was up and running in no time. Total cost of the items I didn't have laying around.....maybe 20.00 max.

My problem is finding the macros I want for it.

Howard

Old 12-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
hey fishtender do you do opposite lighting for your fuge? as in the light is on at night

Old 12-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Question is, what tanks should have a total refugium (no bio balls) and which tank should have a combo of sump and refugium?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
OK, I am going to try to take a few pics here in a minute of my setup, but this will get you guys reading anyway. Electrobes: Just because it's sump doesn't mean it has bio-balls. Bio-balls are primarily for wet-dry filter application that just so happen to be sumps themselves or in sumps. My personal opinion of a sump isn't for filtration exclusively but for increasing the total capacity of your system and clearing your display of add-ons and hang-on thingamajigs. The problem that you will most likely run into as mentioned is nitrates with bio-balls. Like I said in the earlier post I have never ran bio-balls so I cannot testify to this, but it is my understanding that is the case. And with you wanting to run a soft coral tank nitrates are important to keep low.

Your rock should take care of your biological filtration and a good skimmer to take care of the mechanical filtration. I know several locals who don't skim at all and have the most beautiful corals I have ever seen. And I personally feel that if your bio-load is small and you are dilligent with water changes (10% weekly or more) skimming is an option. Also when first setting up unless cycling with uncured live rock skimming isn't even needed for the first month or so. No DOCs no Skimming needed is my principle there.

I have a sump, fuge combo I designed myself. I'll go snap a pic and post it in just a few.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay cool, yeah I was wrong about the idea of what a sump truly was.. I thought it was the whole bio ball (nitrate eating, etc) idea. Basically the reason I was asking is because I don't have a bio load, nor will I really ever have one (basically a coral only tank), and after hearing that you do not have bio balls, I got confused. In my tank I seeded the base rock with LR, which seems to be working out well. But yeah, it makes me happy because now constructing a sump won't be hard.. I plan on just having the refugium as the sump (or sump/refugium if wanna call the box below the main tank holding all machinery and macroalgaes). I definately like the idea of the reverse photoperiod maintaining the pH, adding a lot more water volume to the tank, and a place to hold the machinery while growing macros.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, the batteries in my camera are dead so the best I could come up with is a sketch. I have a valve on the fuge intake side to restrict the flow a little. I thought about haing two separate units but I was affriad of the fuge overflowing or running dry by having to restrict the flow in but drawing from the same soure as the sump (if that makes any sence whatsoever) I decided to let them share the return chamber and it is working beautifully. I also have dual return pumps so I can live with one if one goes out until i can replace it. It also gives me more return options. I plan on ading a SCWD on one of the returns shortly. I made it out of 1/4" acrylic and the baffles are 1/8" separating the chambers. It is long and relatively thin to fit under my stand. I estimate the total capacity at 25 gallons at optimum level leaving the fuge at about 15G. I am not at the 20% recommended level, but as i said any fuge is better than no fuge.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks interesting. Though I do not have a skimmer yet, and don't really see the need for one, I may make room for it in the 29 gallon fuge, but as far as design goes I am just going to have a first short compartment where the water will pour in and waterfall into the next compartment, where the skimmer's place will be, then have it waterfall (more like just get to the other side of the wall) to the next compartment which will be the fuge, which will then lead to the next compartment which is the return. So basically it will be what you have except without the "walls" that are attached from the top section of the tank, and I will be using a single return pump (Rio 1400 rated at 600 GPH) which should be okay considering my tank is 45 Gallons. What do you think?
Old 12-20-2003, 12:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only drwaback I found with not having the lveled baffles is micro-bubbles. With the water just falling over you may have an issue with them. I know it my local Lowes they will cut thin glass for framing for next to nothing (prolly a buck or two each). they could be silicones in easily in a glass tank. As for the Rio, I have never owned one except for the smallest for powerheads. I know there are many on here that don't suggest them for relyablitly issues. But hey, if you have it already then USE IT. I also know someone else on here that has been using one for months without issues at all. Just be sure that your sump can handle the overflow from the main tank before until the siphon beaks on your overflow.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do run my fuge at nite. My PH only varies by .2. As for my design, I do not run my skimmer in the same circuit as my fuge. I want my macros to get a fair share of the nutrients and if I were to skim them off before the fuge it would defeat the purpose altogether. Aside from that, the fact that I do not run a sump, and have a hang-on skimmer would certainly complicate things when it came to balancing water flow.

As for deciding wether to use a skimmer or not. I think water quality is first on my list of importance and so I skim 24\7. My fish and corals are very happy. Unfortunately so are the micro algaes.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good call I will silicon in the glass pieces (yay a stop at lowes!). Yeah the reason for the Rio pump is that I have it laying around doing absolutely nothing and its new. I can't wait to build this beast when I go home for winter break

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com