What is a RO for changing water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvabul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for 4 months now. I have been adding in water from the sink that I have been adding primer to (nitrates, nitrites, amonia, clorine remover). Is this bad for my aquarium. What should I be doing. What is a RO. Where do I buy it. How much does it cost.

RO is Reverse Osmosis. DI is De-Ionized water. RO/DI is when you have both together in the same system.

It's a filter for your tap water. There is TONS you can read about it here and other places online.

My tap water has a Total Disolved Solids (TDS) reading of 219. For lack of a better word, TDS tells us how pure the water is where a zero reading is perfect.

The water that exits my RO/DI filter is currently ready about 6, but I expect it to drop to 1 after another day or so.

I would recommend trying to use something other than straight tap water for your salt-water tank.

I got my RO/DI filter on eBay for about $100.

HTH,
Todd

For a salt water system an RO filter is, IMO, necessary. The amount of "stuff" in tap water, if not filtered.

A number of our sponsors also sell RO filters for fair prices. Support this site by supporting our sponsors :D

The cost of the RO unit should be seen as an invest ment rather than an expense. We use it for alot more than just tank water at home. I use RO water for the cats bowls, for the freshwater tank and for our chilled drinking water for example.

You can often find RO water from dispensers at wal-mart or other retailers. I belive the cost is usually somethine like $.25-$.50/gal.

Back
Top Bottom