What is considered high lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You cant go by watts per gallon. It depends on the fixture and what type of lighting you are looking at. What do you have in mind?

I have 2 dual 65 watts t5's one 10000k and one actinic plus have a led band with 4 3w leds 2 white and 2 blues. 35 gallon tank, 18 inch high

I have 2 dual 65 watts t5's one 10000k and one actinic plus have a led band with 4 3w leds 2 white and 2 blues. 35 gallon tank, 18 inch high

Those are power compacts. I'd say you have low-medium light. You will need much more for acros

I dont think anything less that 6 T5's could support acro properly. Those new RedSea plug and play aquariums come with 12 T5's and sps do well under them but that's 12 48 inch bulbs which is just insane IMO. That's like $300 every nine months on bulbs....yikes...

You could try montipora. If that grows for ya then go to birdsnest. Then maybe pocillopora or stylophora. Slowly work your way into more difficult sps

Grab a frag of Montipora from the LFS and try it out,couldn't hurt. Too bad you're on the other side of Canada of I'd frag ya some myself...

I wouldnt use power compacts there a thing of the past and to expensive when buying bulbs and get very hot and use more electricity. Look at the taotronics led fixtures you will be able to keep anything under them.

Dimmable 120 watt led fixtures are now online for $99 and free shipping. It's almost crazy to consider anything else. If the panel has a problem (which most don't) then they are cheap enough to just buy another one. There are also full spectrum panels for about twice that cost if that's your favorite look. With either of these, you can grow pretty much what you want. And they burn without getting dimmer for 5 years or more. They don't heat your water up, the advantages go on and on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom