What is going on??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium about 5 weeks ago, and got everything I needed, spent alot of time, alot of money, and finally after about three weeks, I got two damsel fish. Everything was fine for about two weeks, I was doing frequent water changes and the fish were fine and eating healthy. Know in the past week, this orangish red stuff started showing up in the tank, I assumed it was algae and just siphoned it out and did some more frequent water changes, but that did nothing! It kept showing up and first my blue damsel died. So I did a large water change and cleaned everything so the problem would not happen again. After spending about 3 hours on this task I thought everything would be fine and the other striped damsel was doing fine. But in just two days everything went bad the algae came back so much in two days all the sand was covered as well as the live rock and sides of the tank, and my striped damsel died of an unknown reason just 15 minutes ago. After this I tested everything about the water and everything was fine. The only thing that seemed to be a problem is the algae or the temperature it fluctuated pretty drastically from about 74-80degrees over the past few days for some reason, is this to blame for the death or something else?? Please help I dont know what else to change and I hate to lose fish, it makes me fell awful. Please give me advice if you can, I would greatly appreciate it!:confused::(

We need some more info.
What did you test and what were the results?
What is your set-up? Type of bulbs, powerheads, filters/skimmers, sump...
How much rock? What kind of substrate?
The more info the better, and any pics would help too.

Edit: Also what kind of water and salt mix.

Deep Seven said:
We need some more info.
What did you test and what were the results?
What is your set-up? Type of bulbs, powerheads, filters/skimmers, sump...
How much rock? What kind of substrate?
The more info the better, and any pics would help too.

Edit: Also what kind of water and salt mix.

I tested the ammonia levels and the read 0 ppm, I checked the nitrite and nitrate levels, which were 0 for nitrites and nitrates were at 20. Also the ph which read a 7.7.
Also, I tested the salt levels with a hydrometer and they read 1.022.
I'm currently using a 24" 17 watt T8 coral sun bulb, which I know is prob the reason for the algae growth.
An aqua clear 50 gal. mechanical, chemical, and biological filter.
The skimmer is a Fission nano protein skimmer for 30 gal aquariums.
I currently have about 40 lbs of live rock.
About 1" of live coral sand.
I'll upload the photos in a little, thanks
I'm using filtered water and also put dechlorinator in it as well, I prepare the water to the same salt levels and temperature to that of the aquarium before adding it.
I'm currently using PetCo premium marine salt mix. Please let me know if I should change that.

What do you mean like the nitrogen cycle, or to cycle the water, sorry if its an obvious answer

O, I used biological filters, (live rocks) and time, also added the damsels

My first guess would be ammonia poisoning. I saw that you tested the levels after he died and it was 0, but what probably happened was, the tank accumulated ammonia, it then poisoned the fish, then the cycle picked up and processed the ammonia leaving you without the hard evidence of what really happened.

Thanks for the help, what would you suggest that I do so that this does not happen again.

Back
Top Bottom