Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is my problem here? UPDATE!!! NEW INFO!!!!

OK I'm actually getting mad ...

I was sitting around last night looking at my tanks and in my Nanocube I had a Strawberry Psuedo and a Perc. I noticed that my Perc was out and about enjoying the current and what looked to be nestling with my gsp!!! WooHooo on that part! ANYWAY ... I didn't see my Strawberry so I figured he was probably in his little cave he found and is chillin. So I grabbed my flashlight and looked around the back of the tank and HE IS NOWHERE? I looked all over for him, I even looked in the back chambers because I've read a few stories of fish getting in there and not being able to get back out AND NOPE HE'S NOT THERE! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

So I grabbed my test kits and start testing the water! All my readings came back spectacular .. Ph 8.2, SG 1.024, Temp 79.8, Ammo 0, Trites 0, Trates <5. Even better than what I had prior when the trates were up around 15????

I am clueless as to why it is only my Perc's that are soldiers! They seem to be the only fish I can keep? In the last month I have now lost a CB Angel, Yellow Clown Goby, and a Strawberry Psuedo??? I also find it odd that there is no visual signs of the Strawberry left over. I only have 3 Scarlets in there and I don't think they could have devoured him that fast as he was in there the night before (or maybe they could have)???

BUT what I did notice is that I have a unidentified crab lurking in the darkness of the back of the tank ... brown in color, looks like hairy legs, and black claws! I saw him while looking for the Strawberry and he quickly ducked out of site into the rock!!!!?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm going crazy here!! Maybe I should just stick to clowns huh?

Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I don't know what happened, but I have a similar story. I purchased a royal gramma and he was doing great for a few months. Then I just lost him????? I never found a trace of his death and my water perameters are very good as well. I have a crab that lurks around in the rocks and I think he might have had something to do with it since gramma's tend to hide in the holes of LR.

Hope you figure your problem out.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

crab with black claws are never a good thing. I'll see if I can dig up the article that describes what you're likely seeing, but for now, try and get a better identification of the crab, a picture if possible will help a lot.

you could also try trapping him.

Find a clean glass, rinse it as good as possible, place a small chunk of meaty food, shrimp, fish, something uncooked and place it in the bottom of the glass.

Place the glass in the tank so it is near where you suspect the crab to be and place it at an angle so the crab can get in it, but wont be able to get a grip on the glass to climb out. You likely won't see him if you stick around and watch, you'll have to go away, turn the lights out and come back and peek in every once in a while.

if you can catch him, take a snapshot and post it here or describe it in as much detail as possible. It is quite likely you have a fish catcher on your hands :|
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

here are a couple links for you:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabidfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/in...bs/swcrabs.htm

HTH
Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW .... after looking at that link for the Crab ID, I believe I may have a Xanthid Crab??? From what I could see of him he looks like the one that has the striped legs and black claws!! Whats funny though is I haven't seen this crab until last night for the first time and I've had the tank setup since July.

Dang .... so this glass method, I'm not sure I understand? Does it work like the bottle trick? I place the glass in the tank right side up but kind of tilted so he can get in but slides back down if he tries to get out? or do I invert the glass?

Would it be possible that the crab nabbed himself a strawberry Dinner? I know the Psuedo hung out in a little hole in the rock so I imagine that if the crab got in there he could have bagged himself a nice dinner!

Thanks BillyZ

Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Place the glass near th rock where you seen him. Tilt it against the rock where he can climb in, but cant climb out.

Sorry about you loss Jermz....
Old 10-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Rev!
I just read your thread too, MAN what a bummer! I hope everything turns out ok in your tank ... you had an absolutely gorgeous tank !

I'm gonna catch this crab and then grill him up if it was him that ate my Strawberry Buddy!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

How long had you had the Strawberry? If he was relativlely new, it could just be from stress from shipping and/or acclimation. The crab would have to be big and the fish to be real small for it to grab it. He might eat it once the fish is gone though.

Not saying to keep the crab by any means but he might not be the culprit.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had the strawberry for about a month now maybe a little longer and he was doing great. I think I'm going with the crab on this one, I don't know of anything else that could have happened!?

I'm hunting for crab tonight!!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 10-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had many a fish disappear to this crazy crab I had in my tank. I finally ended up removing him rather manually after he ate my anthias. He was a wicked looking hairy crab. Complete fish used to just totally disappear with not a trace of them left behind while he was in the tank. That does't happen anymore!

Good luck getting rid of him.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com