Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
What is needed to keep corals

Well my tank has been up for almost two months now, and i gotta say i think i got a coral bug coming on. I was thinking of starting to get some coral in about six months after i get married. my question is what else do i need, i know lighting for sure. Can i get away with power compacts? If so what would the recommended wattage and number of bulbs be? Do i need a wavemaker? Extra powerheads? Do i need a sump? If i do need a sump can i still use my BakPak 2 skimmer on the main tank and not have one in the sump (since i dont want to buy another skimmer). Anything else i may need. I plan on starting off with the easier corals. See my signature below for what i already have.

TIA

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am no expert, I have only had my tank about 8 months. I too started with only fish, but after 5 months I am into the reef big time. I have a 26 Gal bow front with the Coral Life power compact lighting with two 65 watt bulbs, and the moon light LED's this lighting is fine for many differnt types of coral, probably all but the most light demanding ones. I have stayed with the easier corals and have had no problems. I have many zoos, yellow, and green star polyps, xenia, and some mushrooms. I also have a bulb tip anemone. All are doing very well in my tank. I am only running a hang on back skimmer, two power heads and a lot of live rock as my filter. Good luck, and you will have a lot of fun with the corals if you go that way....

Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you go with pc lighting, you are going to want appx 200 watts or so . You need appx 3 to 5 wpg for most of the easier corals. You are going to want an equal mix of daylight bulbs and actinic blue bulbs. What are your tank dimensions? Maybe I, or someone else, can give you an idea of some brands and types.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is a 50 gallon Oceanic tank. The Dimensions are 318X21 (LWH). I was looking at the Orbit Power Compact that has 1-65watt SunPaq Bulb, 1-65Watt Dual Actinic Bulb and 2 Lunar lights. Is this sufficient enough. When you say 200 watts do you add the Sunpaq bulb and the Actinic bulb together = 130 Watts? I didnt see any that would put out 200 watts, can you simply just get higher wattage Bulbs? So you dont need a sump? I plan on keeping easier corals since this is my first tank. What should i expect to spend on PC, Under 200?

TIA

Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to bennerkla Send a message via MSN to bennerkla
Check out Odyssea. Great prices.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=10
Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A sump is not absolutely neccessary. WPG is the total of both the day and blue bulbs but not moonlights. At 3 to 5 wpg you will need 150 to 250 wpg of lighting. 130wpg will not be very good for most corals. Maybe shrooms and polyps but they won't be very happy about it. The one in the post by bennerkla would work.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW, that is a good price. I think i am gonna get that one. Yeah i figure i might as well go right the first time, it will be cheaper in the long run. is this usually the price they have on this website? or do you think i can wait a little while.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

darn, they dont have 30" strips.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Check out www.ahsupply.com .

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

those are good prices also, but no 30" stips.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com