What is that smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunk454

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,
My tank has bee up for 48 hours now, with two shrimp getting the cycle going. I get home from work and walk through the door....the whole house smells like (for lack of a better description) urine. I don't have any pets, so I know it has to be the tank.

Is this normal and if so, when will it go away?

If it helps, it's a 55 gal tank, 4" DSB, two MJ1200's circulating the water right now, no live rock or inhabitants yet.

Also, the water is still VERY cloudy from the sand storm, and I'm guessing this will effect any specific gravity testing? Is this correct? I haven't tested yet, but I know it's not anywhere near where it should be. Do I need to wait for the dust to settle to test?

Thanks all.

Tanks smell if you get right of too them, but they dont stink when you walk in the door.

Have you checked if there is a raccon peeing in your house? :)

Seriously, maybe it is trash or something????

dead shrimp decomposing in the tank, creating ammonia. (urine smell) This is the beginning of your cycle.

i noticed mine smell in the beggining of cycling when i would open my glass canopy, it will go away. Mine doesnt smell at all, even if i get right up to it.

carbon will help with the smell....get some reef or saltwater carbon and us it in your sump...also a skimmer will help start in cleanin the water...
another suggestion is to do partial water changes but im not sure that will effect your cycling, whether or not it will prolong it more....i was able to more or less close the room my tnak is in during that smelly period

Cycling with shrimp will make your house STINK. My apartment reeked for a few days too. Give it some time and it'll go away.

Back
Top Bottom