what is the average price for corals/ frags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would just like to know what the average price for corals and coral frags are. Last night I paid $10.99 for a candycane frag with one tiny head on it, I love it its awesome but I think it was a tad bit over priced :? ? and their was a montepora (sp?) frag was $15.... (that wasnt bad as it was a good sized frag)

that doesnt seem to be too bad. i paid $20 for a frogspawn frag and the same for a xenia frag. the best are the frags that multiply and spread over time. i pick them up whenever i can.

That sounds about right, if you got a really really small frag on it.

Its about $30-$80 here for a 3-4" frag depending on what you get

mwrmma said:
that doesnt seem to be too bad. i paid $20 for a frogspawn frag and the same for a xenia frag. the best are the frags that multiply and spread over time. i pick them up whenever i can.
I would pay than for both, espessially the frogspawn since its one of my "dream" corals and they are about $69 ish out here :cry:

I have yet to see a frogspawn coral here for under $60 dollars, most are around $80-90. The LFS I go to usually, sells frags for around $20-$30. So I would say you got a good deal.

What you do is become friends with the owner of the lfs and get frags for $5-$10 and I get free rocks and stuff too. :) Well I've been going to that lfs for more than 5 years and I'm there like 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes twice a day lol.

I see frags here start at $20 and go as high a $170.

small frags can be fun. I have often times been able to bargin with the LFS on a few frags. It is a way to save a few bucks.

I would suggest shopping around a little more.

I have purchased frags in the $10 to $20 range; however, I found a nice candycane coral (one of my first purchases) with about 20+ heads on it for $39.99 at a lfs that was having a sale (normally $60).

I have since fragged this coral twice (once on purpose to give a piece to a friend, the second on accident while rearranging the tank about 5 months ago - got two nice small frags about 5 heads each along with the mother colony which has 40+ heads on it). And now you can't even tell that the mother colony lost 10 heads just 5 months ago.

I have found that the really small frags just do not have the vitality that some of the larger pieces do. I have had a couple of very small frags never make it. This isn't the case for all specimens; however, it has taken my frogspawn frag about 18 months (1 tiny head ~$15) to have developed two more heads and grow to about a 4" diameter clump.

And sometimes the hobby can surprise you. A piece of rubble that I purchased for my refugium made it to the main tank and lo and behold after a few months 5 small frogspawn heads developed (completely different color than the one frogspawn I have)

I guess I am trying to counsel you to try and get more complete corals as you may have more success with them and feel less like you are getting ripped off. In my experiences, I have rarely regretted getting a slightly more expensive specimen that came out "cheaper by the head".

You can also try Petco. See my advice from earlier today.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95208

kimberly said:
And sometimes the hobby can surprise you. A piece of rubble that I purchased for my refugium made it to the main tank and lo and behold after a few months 5 small frogspawn heads developed (completely different color than the one frogspawn I have)

I wish I was that lucky. I've gotten some lr rubble (for free) from my lfs and the only time it ever had coral on it was one rock with one zoo on it, and it's not even a colorful one!!! :cry: lol stupid brown zoos....

The local hobbiest around me sell candy cane and frogspawn for $5 a head or $15-20 for a 4-5 heads. Zoos range from $5-20 and acros $15-20 for 1-2" pieces. Leathers are $8-10.

BTW, I have sold frags here during the summer months, the last 2 years. I do make trips to Nashville on occasion and and frogspawn is all over up here. I have frogspawn, hammer and blue candy cane in my frag tank right now.

frogspawn and hammer are two that I have always wanted! wow why do you come down here to TN?

My best friend lives in Spring Hill so I travel down every so often. I could ship you some but shipping sort of ruins it unless you get more than one item.

A lot of the LFSs around me seem to occasionally have sales where corals that have been around a while are $39.99, which isn't a bad deal. I'm in the process of trying to buy some on ebay and so far prices are ranging from $10-$35, although the auctions aren't over yet! I have seen some nice larger frags for $40-80.

Back
Top Bottom