Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
How loud is the popping?
Not real loud. I can hear it pretty much from anywhere in the room where my tank is located, but not outside of that room.

I sounds about like some one popping a knuckle, except that the sound has a little more of a metallic quality to it.

I guess will order a trap and go to work.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could aways make a trap out of a bottle. I have never heard one but I just ordered 160 lbs of keys and 160 lbs of gulf rock from liverocks.com so I am sure I will deal with it soon enough.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just picked it up with my fingers as it was darting in and out of a hole in the rock. No worries, problem gone.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
It's pretty loud. I've heard them sound like a snapping of the fingers to what it sounds like throwing a marble at a window.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you have the extra storage space, and can live with the work involved. you can mix up a batch of saltwater, fill a rubbermaid container ~ 1/2 full, and then start loading rock from the tank into the rubbermaid. I would move 1/2 of the rock into the rubbermaid container.

this has several possible outcomes. the mantis will stay on a rock that is in the tank, or come out with the rock in the rubbermaid. if you have fewer hiding spaces you are going to be more likely to catch it in a trap.

also, if you have a second container to do this with, you can always split the rock again. when you figure out which batch it is in, you can split that in half and be working with 1/4 of the original quantity of rock.

im probably going to be trying this approach as soon as possible, b/c i simply cannot figure out where mine is hiding. like i said, it is a bit of work, and a bit of time, but it should work.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was talking to Mike again today and this came back up. He wanted to know why I wanted to get rid of the mantis. He said he personally likes them. He has several in his tank and has no intentions of removing them. He said he drops a piece of raw shrimp or squid in front of their hole and has never really had a problem with them. They have killed a couple turbos over extended time but that is all. No problem with fish etc.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
When i brought my LR he told me the same thing, he said the Mantis from Gulf/Keys are not as tempromental as the ones from Fiji, Etc.. The one my friend had killed a bicolor angel and a yellow tang before he caught his, but he had FIJI liverock, Not from LIVEROCK.COM. I here poping in my tank as well, have never lost any fish in the 5 months i had my tank up, and never seen it, (i also ordered from LR.com) i assume its a pistol, but can very well be a mantis. Have you actually seen it and confirmed it as a mantis? I visited my buddy for two days and saw it at least 5 times, which is when we trapped him, too bad it was too late for the angel and tang HTH.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
Old 07-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is a pretty cool site about mantis shrimp http://www.togar.de/English/aqua/mantis_shrimp.htm
I have an website that also has a story about an australian diver who is killed by a mantis.

Tags
mantis shrimp, method, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com