Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the best method removing mantis shrimp etc. from LR?

I have read several ideas about this but wonder what people here have found to work best for them. Dip rock in fresh water or high SG salt water? for how long? etc. or any other methods.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
i've tried the bottle trick.. and i think its a load of BS.. haha.. i have one in my 75gal atm.. ive located the rock.. well i have 2-3 rocks in mind.. if u want to kill the lil SOB my friend had luck with a skewer and poke it into the holes of the rock..

mmmm mantis shrimp

Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Arent there predators you can get (the name slips my mind, of course) that will take care of the problem?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The skewer doesn't always work. I broke open a rock in an attempt to remove a very stubborn mantis. I was amazed at how far he could get back out of the way and how many turns there were. If there are no corals on the rock, you could try a fw dip. Or, some people have had success with using carbonated salt water. The bubbles are supposed to irritate it and make it bail. None of these worked for me though. There are commercial traps available too. Liveaquaria sells the X-terminator trap. You just have to be patient. They are very smart and suspicious so it could take a few days to get them to take the bait.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have caught one with the bottle technique and i am tracking down the second one that came on my live rock. the second guy is not going for the bottle trick, so i think i am going to start removing rocks until i can pinpoint where he is.

i probably will go with the bottle technique once i figure out what rock he is hiding in. the problem with the bottle is that it is hard to get the mouth near where the mantis is at... i think you need to be close enough to convice him to come out of hiding and take the bait.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
Old 07-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I used the carbonated (SG and PH adjusted) soda water. Got many critters out, but eventually a couple mantis showed themselves.
Unfortunately unless you want to kill off most of the good life in the rock, they is not a sure shot method.
I wouldn't stress too much, you can always trap them out as you find them.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
i helped my buddy catch his using the bottle trick, it took a couple nights, and probably wont hurt setting a couple traps because he caught his cleaner and a ton of hermits. He used a 1 liter soda bottle, i would try that.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I spoke with Mike from Liverocks.com about this today. I figured if fresh or high SG water woulds run out a mantis it has to get rid of good stuff too. He agreed and said he does not recommend dipping because it "shocks" to much good stuff.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
I spoke with Mike from Liverocks.com about this today. I figured if fresh or high SG water woulds run out a mantis it has to get rid of good stuff too. He agreed and said he does not recommend dipping because it "shocks" to much good stuff.
Did Mike have any recommendations?

I have 60 lb of thier rock. I got rid of two mantis upon arrival by repeated thrusting the rock in and out of a bucket or saltwater (not high SG.) I spent 3 weeks cycling and never saw or heard anything. Now I have added a cleanup crew and I regularly hear the "popping" at night.

I would have liked to know this before I added the cleanup crew, because now I feel like any trap I use will be more likely to catch members of the clean up crew instead of the mantis.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

He recommended a trap and patience. How loud is the popping?

Closed Thread

Tags
mantis shrimp, method, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com