Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what is the best way??

hey
i have had my saltwater tank for almost 3 months now
and i am a bit curious here?
my tank runs with a wet dry system and i have it always filled to the water level mark!
then once the electricity went and the filter overflowed a bit
( i have a 65 gallon tank)
what should i do to solve this?? also
i need to top off everyday or else the pump will run dry, if i was to go out on a vacation
what should i do???

Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Quote:
then once the electricity went and the filter overflowed a bit
( i have a 65 gallon tank)
what should i do to solve this??
Drill a siphon break in your return line at the water surface, or just below the water surface. When the electricity cuts out, the water will back siphon to the hole, then it will suck air and break the siphon.

Quote:
i need to top off everyday or else the pump will run dry, if i was to go out on a vacation
what should i do???
Either get someone to come over everyday, or devise an auto top off that uses a large resevoir and a float valve.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 AM   #3

drill a hole here??on the black nozzle?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Yup. A small hole right there just below the waterline. That way it will only drain to the top of your overflow there on the left instad of siphoning to the bottom of your return nozzle.

R-
Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A small hole. Like 1/8" or smaller. Basicly just large enough that air can be sucked into the line when the water level gets to that point. Nothing so large that water flows out of that area and not out of your return nozzle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:37 PM   #6

What I intend to do is get a HOB power filter shell like an old whisper This one and remove the pump. In place uf that little pump I'm going to plumb in the water return line into it so that it fills the filter box and overflows into the tank.

Not sure if you could do the same, but then th most it would siphon back is the contents of the box and line (1/2 gallon MAX), not the whole tank.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What I intend to do is get a HOB power filter shell like an old whisper This one and remove the pump. In place uf that little pump I'm going to plumb in the water return line into it so that it fills the filter box and overflows into the tank.
How big is the return pump? I would be concerned that it would shoot water straight up.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
How big is the return pump? I would be concerned that it would shoot water straight up.
I don't know the specs of my pump off the top of my head. I figured I'd try and difuse it somehow. It may splash quite a bit, but I figure having the shell full of water would containg the splashes that a difuser would create.

Keep in mind I havent' implemented yet, but you bring up a good point. If you decide to try it, let me know and we can keep brainstorming.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com