What is the best way to acclimate coral to new light..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
is it best to have the light set to the desired intensity and start coral on the bottom/sand and slowly move them up to their final positions
or
is it better to place the corals where they will ultimately reside and then increase the intensity of the light slowly.

Which is better?
inquiring minds want to know :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have VHO`s at the moment. I will be going to LED`s this weekend but with my VHO`s I start all at the bottom and move up gradually. Not saying that you should do it with higher power lighting but with VHO`s that has been what I do.

I started most on the bottom and have moved them to what I think will be their homes. I do notice that with LED over fluorescents with LEDs you have the sides where the light intensity drops off affording even more latitude in coral placement.
But it has the flip side of being limited in where you can place the high light loving ones.

so far most of mine seem to be ok with where I've put them
I kinda did the dividing it into three layers thing and moved stuff up accordingly. So far the ones I have moved up highest seem happy, a flower pot colony, a couple of candy cane polyps and two types of pipe organ coral.
I do have a cabbage leather that I just moved up to near top, but now it looks like it may not like it there as it is getting a few white patches on it.

92584-albums13974-picture68935.jpg

BUT I don't know if it is from the light bleaching it or if it's from my green bubble-tip nem. Monday morning I woke to find my nem upside down, fully inflated, on top of my cabbage, a small torch type and some zoas.
The zoas are fine, the torch guy (I think, an ID would be nice) isn't faring to well as he was almost in the nems mouth when I discovered it;

92584-albums13974-picture68934.jpg

and the cabbage now has those spots.
I guess I should put it back lower and see if it heals up.

If they are attached, and in an established tank, then I would start the lights low, if they are new additions, I'd start them at the bottom and work them up to the desired height over a period of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom