What is the best way to drill a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an acrylic sump that i need to drill a 1" hole. Is there a special drill bit I need for that? Any one have any tips on this so that I dont crack it.

ok...i know someone on here has drilled their sump?
was planing on doing this with a hole drill bit minus the drill bit in the center....just the hole cutter part. Pleae give me some feedback on this before I do it so I know what to look for and expect. thanks

I drilled my sump. Use the hole saw bit and USE the center pilot bit. If you do not use the pilot bit in the center the hole saw will jump around and you will have a better chance of cracking your sump.. Just keep the drill level and go slow and you will have no problems.

Good Luck

I read on that link the common drill bit has to be modified to drill acrylic
cool.....Im using my 18volt dewalt drill....

I concur with tmcpeek: Do USE the center bit as you need it as a guide for the hole cutter.

I have used a standard hole cutter, with the center bit, to cut out the holes on my DIY skimmer. I first drilled a smaller hole then used the hole cutter. Just go at it very slowly, as the metal will heat up and the acrylic will start to melt if you go to fast. You don't want to end up with the hole cutter fused to the tank. 8O HTH

8)

I have also done it using a center bit hole saw. I actually cut two holes with no problem at all. Just go slow like all have mentioned and keep it steady going through...

Back
Top Bottom