What is the best way to get an anemone off of the rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best way to get an anemone off of the rock? My bubble tip anemone is always moving in my nano trying to find better current and is killing everything in its path! it has currently relocated itself right on top of my colony of polyps! I Would like to put it in a holding net/container until our larger tank is set up and i can transfer it and its maroon clown over.

Advice for anyone wanting an anemone in a nano: DONT! The tank is too small and once the anemone gets bigger (which is will very very quickly) everything it touches suffers.

They are really hard to move. They will move around till settled. You might try to put a rock high up toward top of tank. I would try to make a spot that it would like. Where it can hide and pop out around the rock.

I`ve heard others use a credit card to slowly run under the anenome to loosen it off the LR. Be very careful not to tear the foot as it will not survive if you do.

As MIke said, you can try the credit card method, but you must be very careful. You can also try adjusting the ph to direct more flow at it to make it move, but good luck timing the move to removing it.

It might be best to remove the rock it on and get that in a larger tank (lfs, friend, club member) for the time being.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way. IMO anemones should be left in the ocean where they can live far longer than our tanks will be around.

Thanks guys i guess ill just continue to move my corals around away from it every time it moves. It has moved again since i posted this so it is in an okay spot at the moment.

That sucks to hear. I had two til one moved on my heater. Darn fool. The heater came on while it was still attached and really screwed it up. Looked like it was obviously dieing so I had to take it out bc it started looking gooey. Then a few days later. The one that was still good split in half?! How does that happen?

Anyways. I'm going to agree that although I really like them, I think I will prefer to not have them in my next bigger tank. I heard if you can get like a frozen bag of pea's or something similar and hold it at the bottom of it's foot then it might release slowly. I was told that from the guy that worked at our LFS

As the others have said a credit card will work. If it is just one the surface of the rock it isn't to difficult but if the food is down in a hole or anywhere hard to reach don't attempt it. Once you peel away a little bit with the credit card you can usually gently pull away the rest of the foot with your fingers so you don't have to worry about tearing as much.

Back
Top Bottom