What is the best way to wash sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering, what has been the easiest way people have found to rinse large quantities of Southdown? I am moving my 55 into a 120 and doing the remainder of the sand in Southdown. I have read to rinse it first, so is there a convenient way to do this?

You could not rinse it also. Rinsing will aid in the southdown clearing faster but your left with less of a particle size diversity.

The easiest way I have seen is to put sand in a 5 gal bucket about 1/2 full. Then use a garden hose to fill the bucket with water. You dont want to spray water in the bucket but just have it filling the bucket. Use a large stick or something to stir the sand. The lighter particles will float away as the bucket overflows with water where the heaver particles will remain in the bucket. After a few min of doing this remove the hose and gently tip the bucket to remove a bulk of the water. Then repeat 4-5X. You will notice the overflowing water being less cloudy each time you repeat till your happy with the results and then you move on to the next bucket.

Back
Top Bottom