Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to blaster
What is the correct temp for Saltwater

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I really enjoyed reading all the articles and made the right choice and join.

I am very new to this hobby and really looks like fun and many new things to learn.

My question is what is the correct temp in a saltwater tank? The temp goes to 68.5 F at night and reaches as high as 77.2 F during the day. Of course this happens with the lights.

My tank is a 140 gal with about 60 ibs of LR 3 802 power heads, Protein Skimmer, one heater of course.

Have a Yellow tang, 2 Spider Shrimp, 5 blue Damsel 7 turbo Snails, 5 hermit crabs and one feather duster. Oh forgot one Hippo tang as well.

Everyone is giving me all kinds of numbers which is the correct temp.

Cheers to all

Old 12-28-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i definitely think that your range during the day is way too dramatic. I would make sure ur heater is working and that ur temp stays pretty much the same during the day, cause i think that would put a lot of stress on ur fish. And i don't think there's any one temp u should have, but i would aim for anything between 78 and 82 degrees, and make sure it stays at one temp all day long. I have mine set on 80 degrees.

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

68.5 is too low IMO. I'd say a safe range of temperature would be between 76 and 79. Some may keep their tanks a little warmer, but I usually keep our tank at 78.

Your temperature is fluctuating a lot. Depending on what kind of heater you have, you may want to upgrade and get a better one. A popular recommendation is to have two smaller heaters instead of one big heater. This should help keep the temperature as constant as possible, and acts as a backup should you lose one of the heaters.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
i definitely think that your range during the day is way too dramatic. I would make sure ur heater is working and that ur temp stays pretty much the same during the day, cause i think that would put a lot of stress on ur fish. And i don't think there's any one temp u should have, but i would aim for anything between 78 and 82 degrees
Agreed.
Check out >>What are Natural Reef Salinities and Temperatures--Really--and Does It Matter?<< by Ron Shimek.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Link takes me to an under construction page. Is there a typo or is it me?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is there a typo or is it me?
Neither. Try this one, apparently someone hasn't kept up their domain, LOL.

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/tempsal.htm

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to blaster
Great. Thanks a lot guys/Girls. I will get to the problem quickly and adjust it.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome... You will fine that these guys ( not me ) really know how to get you though just about anything unscaved...
Old 12-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One heater and its probably undersized. IS it a 300W unit? If so I would get a second 300W unit. Slowly increase the tank temp to a range of 80-82F. If you have problems with water temp getting above 82F during the day with the lights then increase the surface water movment to try to stimulate evaporation. This will cool the tank. Fans blowing over the surface will do this aswell.

Make sure the tank is out of direct sunlight as that can be a significant factor in tank heating.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, call me old school. When I started out in this hobby 25 years ago, it was 78 degrees & a salinity of 1.021 according to Martin Moe.
12 to 15 years later with Julian Sprung, Charles Delbeek, Martin Moe Jr., etc. it was believed that lower temperature & lower salinity was better. So I went from 78-79 degrees in my reef to 75-76 degrees and raised the salinity from 1.021 to 1.025. For the FO tank, I went from 78-79 degrees to 77 degrees & from 1.021 to 1.018 salinity.
Based on R Shimek's articles, it seems like this is the wrong track again. I have relative success with the lower salinity in the FO tank. It just seems like the osmoregulation principle makes sense and the lower temps have not been disadvantages to any of my tanks for a decade. What is everyone elses thoughts regarding the 82-84 degree & 1.024-1.025 salinity theory?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com