What is the difference between coral and coral fragments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Collecting frags and/or cultured coral is the responsible thing to do, in my opinion as a active diver. Leave that pretty coral on the reef and grow one of your own from a frag.

Could you go into more detail about collecting them? I am traveling to Hawaii in a couple weeks and I want to collect coral fragments. I have recieved my license to take a few fish for my aquarium , but it also says I can take coral fragments as well.

I would have a careful discussion with the local authorities. Make sure you have the proper locations marked out and do some research on the web. I did not collect specimens when diving, I took photographs. By collecting, I meant from aquaculturists that grow them, or from friends who have to cut them back when they get too big. I take frags of my corals into the LFS to trade every now and then.

Oh I have. I have even acquired the necessary permit for recreational Aquarians to harvest fish and coral fragments. I just wasn't sure what a coral fragment would look like in comparison. I know it's smaller but didn't know if it had to have fallen off or?

I have done the research necessary otherwise to ensure it is legit. Id just like to make sure I was collecting the best legal specimen I can. I think that it adds even more intrigue to my tank if the contents have things I collected myself from Hawaii ;)

Back
Top Bottom