What is the gph for a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just wanted to know how many gph a powerhead needs to pump for a 55 gallon. i mean whats the ratio?

For fish only you want to turn the tank over at least 10x an hour. For corals 15x an hour. This is of course approximate, and should be adjusted depending on your tank.

It's really up to you. For me personally, I have over 1200gph in my 50 gallon tank. I have two (500 gph) placed on the top left blasting towards the right. They face up towards the top of the water to help with the oxidation and create ripples. For whatever dead spots I have (the bottom left of the tank right under the two powerheads) I place a slower ph to blow in that direction. Just make sure there aren't any dead spots (which I still have, but too much rocks to create a fully circulated tank). Oh yea, my tank is barebottom which is why I can do that. If you have sand there is a higher chance that there are going to be some sandstorms.

Did I mention that I think I still need more flow? :roll: A lot of the poop from the fish fall into some caves and the bottom, need to point another ph there to make sure it doesn't stack on and on.

for my my 55 gallon i have a filter rated at 300 gph, a seaclone skimmer with a maxijet 1200 rated ad 295 gph, and a smaller powerhead rated at 160 gph near the bottom of my tank to create flow behind my live rock (which happily i got 5 more lbs today!). I use a 2:1 cc to argonite sand so no sand storms for me =).

Basicly as you can see its almost impossible to have to much flow and there is no magic number to say that 750GPH is the ideal flow rate. The truth is that each tank will have a unique water flow pattern due to how you have the rock places and how you have the return and overflows positioned. This unique flow rate can deturmin if you need more or less flow to provide a good overall current.

agree with fishfreek !! in one of my 55 i have a mag drive 9.5 as my return two maxi-jet 1200 in each corner and a hang on fuge with a 120 gph return !! i also have a mag 24 running my skimmer which the flow is split between the skimmer and another 55 both are on the water !! so thats like 1400 gph in one of the 55 and 1200 in the other ! im adding two more maxi-jets as well !! if you place them right you will not have a sand storm !! imo most dont have enough flow

Just make sure you split the flow between 2 or more PHs, otherwise it will be too laminar and you'll have some problems.

Back
Top Bottom