Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the minimum light requirements for anemone?

What is the minimum light requirements for anemone?
I was in the LFS the other day and they had some in a tank with very minimal light. I had seen them there several times like that.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you do a search on Dr Ron Shimek's forum on Reef Central, you can find the thread where he espoused feeding to be much more important than lighting. He stated that it is possible to maintain anemones under low light conditions as long as they are fed well enough.
My sebae lived under NO fluorescent lighting for almost ten years until it's demise when my air conditioning failed and I had major losses.
My present sebae, and my rose bubble both do quite well under the NO lighting I still use today over all ten tanks. (only half have corals and inverts)

Old 05-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats a fairly general question. many anemones have different lighting
needs. BTA's seem to do ok under 3 WPG as long as you feed them regularly. Carpet anem's seem to need at least 5. aiptasia seems to thrive under any light.

I think its ok to say that all anems contain symbiotic algae and that the more light the better, and less you will need to feed them.

just because the anems at the LFS are under low light does not mean they don't need it.

We want our anemones to thrive not just survive
Old 05-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
steve-s

Please disregard anything Dr. Ron has to say in regards to anemones. The information he provides in this regard is complete nonsense.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Steve, I have a high regard for your knowledge so I'm interested in your comment. I've read Dr. Shimek's article on anemones and lighting that rayjay mentions. Why do you think he's wrong?
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a carpet anemone under 210watts (~2.8 WPG). Obviously not quite enough light, but he survives off filter-feeder additives, and spot feeding every 2-3 days with a piece of krill. MH is definitely in need (or replacement PC for my two NO fixtures).

Step-father's pink-tipped anemone's (yes he has two in the same tank) survive at the bottom of a deep 150g with only PC lighting, but almost daily feedings.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Please disregard anything Dr. Ron has to say in regards to anemones. The information he provides in this regard is complete nonsense.

Cheers
Steve
That's a pretty blunt conclusion, isn't it? "Complete nonsense"? I'd like to hear more about the specifics of this, if you could. I mean, you are asking all of the readers of this board to substitute your judgement for his - maybe a few specifics would help.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes please expound on your ideas where he is wrong. I read what he had to say and it sounded feasable but also a little off to most everything else I have read.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think Dr. Ron's point in the thread that he wrote was not that you should go ahead and get one with sub-optimal lighting, but rather that with the feedings they would continue to sub-sist (I think he even reiterates this at the end of the thread). It certainly doesn't mimic their conditions in the wild. They wouldn't seek out that environment and they aren't going to be happy. They may wander more, they may get hurt or they may sting your other tank contents. It is a good idea? Probably not. Is it possssssible? Probably. For them to keep their color, they're going to need optimal lighting. It is the difference between keeping an animal and keeping an animal happy.

Most anemones require 4-6wpg of light, from what I understand.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hence the loss of color in my carpet running only 2.8 WPG.

Tags
anemone, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com