What is the minimum size tank for a Yellow Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, a 6 foot tank is the starting size in my opinion. I have 3 tangs in my tank and the only tang I would put in a 4 foot tank would be a tomini or a Kole tang. They don't swim nearly as much as my yellow tang and blue do so I think they would be ok in a 75g tank.

Some people have put tangs in small tanks and some of those people have lost their tangs and some have managed to keep them alive. My goal isn't just to keep a fish "alive" though, I want them to thrive and be happy as they can be in capitivity.

carey said:
Yep, a 6 foot tank is the starting size in my opinion. I have 3 tangs in my tank and the only tang I would put in a 4 foot tank would be a tomini or a Kole tang. They don't swim nearly as much as my yellow tang and blue do so I think they would be ok in a 75g tank.

Some people have put tangs in small tanks and some of those people have lost their tangs and some have managed to keep them alive. My goal isn't just to keep a fish "alive" though, I want them to thrive and be happy as they can be in capitivity.

Funny, my Kole tang swims as much or more than the yellow tangs do...

I didnt mean too big[. I] meant more than enough to keep them and as a diver you should know that just giving them less space but free food,no predators and very little struggle is an even trade off if not better. [G]o ask a hobo if [he will] live in your bathroom if you feed him and whatnot. But hey whatever some people like to give their fish [everything] possible while others just [don't] have the budget and have reasearched a lot into sharks and feel comfotable putting them in my future tank[.]

[Added Punctuation and Grammar]

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid a total of $25 for my 125g 6 foot tank and stand. I did go a bit crazy on everything else but it can be done on most budgets if you really want it. You just have to find good deals and be thrifty. :) Plus it doesn't have to be a coral reef tank so those expensive lights aren't needed. A basic tank with light and youre set to go. Not saying these deals come along everyday but it certainly does happen and is a great option.

I currently have a 60gal tank.a little history about 6 months or so ago I went to purchase some liverock off of Craigslist, turns out this guy was taking his setup down(30gallon tank) he had a yellow tang and a sailfin tang. Long story short he gave me them for free because if I did not take them he was going to flush them. well jump to the preset,I have specifically stacked my rocks to allow for maximum swim room so the tangs can make complete laps around the whole tank without stopping. They are each healthy and fat. Each is about 3 or 4 in in length.with in the next year I am upgrading to a 250 gallon tank,(48x48x24) yes the length is 4ft but the extra swim room is compensated by the width of the tank. everything is already planned out :). From my experience yes tangs can survive and do very well in a 4ft tank(anything under 100gal) ,but they will not strive and live a long life. I have done everything I can to provide for my tangs but when it all comes down to it they need a larger tank plain and simple.

Hondachico said:
25$ for a 6 ft tank? How? Or is that 250?

Craigslist!

I think the main thing everyone is getting at is that not all fish / coral are for all people.

Some fish are reef safe, some aren't. Some fish are predatory, some are peaceful. Some fish thrive in large tanks and some are okay in smaller footprints. Some fish are cheap, and some fish compare to a nice car in price.

There seems to be ways for almost anyone interested in the hobby to have an awesome experience and a beautiful tank, but not without limitations.

If we choose to research and provide the right environment, chances for success go up, and we spend more time than money on our hobby, and have more enjoyment than setbacks.

I'm 24/7 on Craig's and haven't been able to find that good of a deal the best I can get is a 55 gal for 100 with stand and that's it

No way[,] when [you're] starving [you'd] do anything[.] But anyway that['s] a great deal[. My] 37g with lid, light, stand was 100$[.]

[MOD edit for punctuation & grammar]

Sharklover said:
No way,when your starving youd do anything but anyway thats a great deal my 37g with lid,light,stand was 100$

[M]aybe you would do anything lol but anyone who doesn't take their freedom for granted would not imo. [I'd] rather die starving to death then live with no freedom and die slowly[.] [F]ind one hobo who would live in your bathroom forever if [you] feed him. [Bet you can't because they usually value their freedom[.]

[MOD edit for Punctuation and Grammar]

Back
Top Bottom