What is the proper way to clean a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfmanbean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So picked up a 30g long for free from a friend. It was used to house a python and he no longer needed the tank. When I got the tank from him it smelled like it had bleach dumped in it. Now I know im not suppose to use a tank that had chemicals in it. So my question is is there any way to get the bleach out? Or Should I just throw the tank out and say forget it?

Don't throw it out, send it here! ;)

I'd probably bleach it again myself first to know exactly how clean it is and then rinse copiously. Have you filled it to verify that it will hold water? I'd start there so that you don't clean a tank that may need to be resealed.

Pure bleach is fairly safe if you rinse the tank properly. We use copious amounts on the fish farm to make sure equipment and such is disinfected. The vet who looks after fish health said that bleach will degrade into water and salt in the presence of organics (organics defined as carbon based matter).

Bleach or vinegar work well for cleaning your tank, just make sure you rinse it really well after.

And +1 on filling it first to make sure it holds water.

copiously

lol, copiously and copious in the same thread....

I agree, I'd bleach it again with a 10:1 water to bleach ratio (after leak testing of course)... Once you've bleached it, you can use a 5x dose of dechlor to get all the chlorine out, then sun bake for a few hours.. Thats just one of the many ways to go about doing it of course

agree with the above mentioned- Vinegar + Water = Clean tank- Bleach works also...

Filling it with water is on my to do list just haven't got to it yet. In all honesty ill be suprised if the tank doesnt leak. I noticed that it was manufactured in 1982. I had thought about repeative rinsing and some sun for the tank. Never hurts to have a second opinion. Thanks for all your help

first i would make sure it was an actual aquarium not a terrarium and will hold 30 gal of water. there are tanks that are just for reptiles and the glass is to thin to hold water.

Not made in 82. Very good thought though.

Be sure that it is an aquarium too. Some glass tanks are manufactured for lizards and such and are not designed to be full of water.

I would fill the tank with bleach and allow to sit for 24hrs, then scrub all surfaces with an acrylic safe sponge while bleach is still in contact. Then drain, refill, and de-bleach.

Back
Top Bottom