what is the rule for hown much u put in the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn_Schlorff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that you only put 1 inch of fish to every gallon of water in the aquarium...Is this true and how much ccoral can u put in the aquarium.....?

the 1 inch rule is pretty outdated. some people do 1 fish per 10 galllons. but most dont follow those. you pick up on it later in the hobby. whats your tank size and equipment? or if you dont have stuff yet, what are you planning on?

It really depends on the fish. If I was going by the inch rule I would say 1 inch for every 5 gallons. But as I said it really depends on the fish. Fish that need plenty of swimming room like tangs need a 6 ft tank. If it`s going to be an aggressive fish it`s probably a messy eater and will foul a small tank up. These are examples of why you cant go by the inch rule.

i have a 35 gallon hex 2 feet high by 2 feet wide planing the reef idea have a submerable filter(Fluval U3) and a aquarium systems protien skimmer and a 150 watt metal haligon light.

you have to allot for what they'll be when full grown as well...not how big they are when you buy them if they're smaller

No rule for corals. Just make sure you keep adequate spacing between them unless you want to witness them going to war with each other.

Regarding fish, while I know most folks don't like the "inch rules" for stocking, I tend to think somewhere between 3 gallons per inch and 5 gallons per inch is a good reference point. And that's inch of full grown fish... not what they are right now. And as someone already mentioned that rule is really subject to interpretation given that some fish want larger tanks for more running room, and some fish are just plain messy and poop alot. I my opinion, if you go less than 3 gallons per inch, you'd better be on top of everything.

The only "rule" for coral is that mixed reefs containing an assortment of sps, lps, or soft corals may exhibit allelopathic symptoms occasionally. Soft corals can affect the health of sps corals and lps/soft corals can affect each other.

Good point Innovator... forgot about that one. Soft corals (leathers, octocorals, mushrooms, etc) can tend to do their warfare through chemicals in the water (aleopathically) versus stinging tentacles. A bunch of soft corals in a tank can lead to problems down the road which are hard to figure out. You just don't know who is fighting who since you can't see the chemicals. Good reason to always run carbon in any mixed reef in order to suck up the toxins.

Basically the chemical warfare of certain corals (I suppose). I've only really heard allelopathy in reference to plants....

Couldn't resist adding to the 'nolige' base

Allelopathy is the inhibition of growth of a plant due to biomolecules released by another. It is the opposite of symbiotic mutualism. The biomolecules are called allelochemicals and are produced by some plants as secondary metabolites. When the allelochemicals are released into the environment, they inhibit the development of neighbouring plants.

I assume the post expands the definition to include non plant species can excrete chemicals that will inhibit neighbors from being able to utilize compounds necessary for existence?

Back
Top Bottom