What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoIt4Fun

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went fishing out in the bay when my friend seen a school of 3 to 5 ft sharks in the shallows feasting on pin fish so I hop out the boat and get one on the line... The line pops and I stumble over this big yellow some thing.... I took it home and put it in my tank.... Does anyone know what it is and is it worth any money

Attachments

• image-1740551802.jpg
    image-1740551802.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 114
No not at all illegal unless its in a safe zone which are rare,and youd no if there was one near you

Don't know where your located sharklover, but in Florida it is absolutely illegal to remove ANY life ( may also apply to rock too) from the water without either a saltwater products license ( ie foodstuffs), a collection permit (hard to come by), or a fishing license. If that rock is a piece of coral, it's an animal, and it's illegal without a permit. Honestly, I think even taking rocks is illegal too. If it weren't, everyone would be taking it to sell as live rock, myself included!
A friend of a friend is a fish and game officer and this topic was discussed because of the "possible" removal of a starfish from Boca Grande Pass. Don't know if it was actually removed or not, Lol, but was told that had it been removed that it was illegal to do so.

It's not a rock it's soft and I do have a fishing permit..... How do you go about getting a collectors permit... I'm really thinking about opening up a salt and freshwater fish store

I'm really not sure how to get a collectors permit. I only knew one person, that owned a LFS, who had a collection permit. He'd go to the keys every month. Really great store, and unfortunately, he sold it, so I don't see him anymore. Apparently he got in trouble with fish and game over improper aeration, or not enough, and was heavily fined. This guy was conscientious too, not a hack. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't taking care of his fish, since he sold them at his own store, and his stock was always top notch. Anyway, kinda blew because this was my IN for collecting and learning the business.
You can probably just google saltwater collection permit.

Flreefer said:
I'm really not sure how to get a collectors permit. I only knew one person, that owned a LFS, who had a collection permit. He'd go to the keys every month. Really great store, and unfortunately, he sold it, so I don't see him anymore. Apparently he got in trouble with fish and game over improper aeration, or not enough, and was heavily fined. This guy was conscientious too, not a hack. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't taking care of his fish, since he sold them at his own store, and his stock was always top notch. Anyway, kinda blew because this was my IN for collecting and learning the business.
You can probably just google saltwater collection permit.

Thanks for all the info but do you have a clue on what this is

Sorry so long-winded :). Not sure, I was thinking maybe some kind of Leather coral, if it's soft. Looks pretty cool though. And wasn't trying to scare you about the legality, truth is... It's only illegal if you get caught! Just trying to give sound advice, for knowledges sake.

Back
Top Bottom