Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

The marine land lights are definitely not strong enough for pretty much all corals except maybe a mushroom. People on here have had luck with a Chinese led, taotronics. You can find them on eBay and amazon. I was thinking about them, but the hubby and I decided on the Radion since I only needed 1 fixture for my tank size. Check them out, people have had success with even the most light hungry coral, clams, and anemones.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had those lights before but they were the double brights which i think are a newer model. Theyre only good for FOWLR or freshwater planted tanks. They may work for shrooms because they are among easiest coral to grow. I own a few of the said above chinese made 120watt LEDs and have kept every type of coral including sps (which need the most). Check your local city reef forum. I just bought one recently from a fellow reefer for $50. Personally, I wouldnt trust any LEDs that dont have fans on them. Either they will overheat or they are not strong enough to produce the kind of heat that need fans. Heres a pic of mine mounted in my canopy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4080732254.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	126916
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3946930521.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	126917  

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWoWee
I had those lights before but they were the double brights which i think are a newer model. Theyre only good for FOWLR or freshwater planted tanks. They may work for shrooms because they are among easiest coral to grow. I own a few of the said above chinese made 120watt LEDs and have kept every type of coral including sps (which need the most). Check your local city reef forum. I just bought one recently from a fellow reefer for $50. Personally, I wouldnt trust any LEDs that dont have fans on them. Either they will overheat or they are not strong enough to produce the kind of heat that need fans. Heres a pic of mine mounted in my canopy.
The part about the fans and LEDs isn't actually true. I have Kessil LED light on my 55g reef and it doesn't have a fan and will keep pretty much any coral alive, and i can touch it without it being hot and it doesn't heat up my tank at all. My SPS, LPS an anemone are all doing great.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some pics of my tank. Keep in mind that this tank just finished cycling in july and i installed the leds 2 months ago so its still young. In that time my frogspawns quadrupled in size, and torch doubled. My anemone is as happy as can be and i have high end expensive palys growing a few heads in a couple weeks. My birdsnest started from a few small branches and my xenias are thriving on the sand (which some reefers have trouble keeping in general). Ive had em on my nano tanks too. Not trying to sell you guys. Just sharing my experience with em. =)

Name:	image-2773496539.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	126929

Name:	image-3090638710.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	126930

Name:	image-3099180779.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	126931

Name:	image-3606320652.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	126932
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

The part about the fans and LEDs isn't actually true. I have Kessil LED light on my 55g reef and it doesn't have a fan and will keep pretty much any coral alive, and i can touch it without it being hot and it doesn't heat up my tank at all. My SPS, LPS an anemone are all doing great.
True, but any compact fixture that doesn't have a fan needs a big heat sink or the LEDs wont last and the fixture will be very hot to the touch. I've built both. When you get into higher wattage fixtures it gets harder to do it without fans.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Again thanks a lot to everyone whos been helping

The marine store in my area had these lights running on most of their tanks, everything looked pretty good in there. I will probably try this one out for the first while and see how it does. What about actinic lighting?

Also I just drove 2 hours to get some more live rock since there isnt a whole lot of selection in my area. My 2 raw shrimp have been in the tank for about 24 hours, ew they stunk up my room, and have turned pink. The LFS stated to take them out because my live rock will do a fine enough job now, since I put all the rock I need in today. I just read that last post about ammonia being 4ppm. Below are my water tests from right after I put my rocks in, I only had one small in there prior. That was in for about 2 days.

So I took the shrimp out and placed all the rock in here are my readings:

Salinity: 1.024
pH: 7.8
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 2ppm (I think around 2 check out the pic below)

Soooooo that being said, the rocks should do their thing and spike my ammonia to 4ppm; than it should be coming down over the next few weeks?
OR do I toss those stinky slimy shrimps back in?

How are the readings for my tank for being less than a week old? Normal I hope

Also; I swapped out my carbon filter for an ammonia filter (pad) by SeaPora. The LFS stated in SW tanks carbon is quite useless. Since ammonia can be a large problem she suggested swapping it out for that.

The pics; my first set of water chemistry ; the second is just my new rocks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3073100969.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	126947   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3861200443.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	126948  

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

True, but any compact fixture that doesn't have a fan needs a big heat sink or the LEDs wont last and the fixture will be very hot to the touch. I've built both. When you get into higher wattage fixtures it gets harder to do it without fans.
You two are both right about leds and fan or no fan. An LED with no fans will need to have a really good heatsink.

Medic - it looks like your tank is still early in the cycle since it seems ammonia isnt being converted into nitrite yet. Just give it time. A powerhead will help for waterflow through the rocks. At this point, only until your ammonia and nitrite read zero, is your tank fully cycled.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWoWee

You two are both right about leds and fan or no fan. An LED with no fans will need to have a really good heatsink.

Medic - it looks like your tank is still early in the cycle since it seems ammonia isnt being converted into nitrite yet. Just give it time. A powerhead will help for waterflow through the rocks. At this point, only until your ammonia and nitrite read zero, is your tank fully cycled.
--yes its like 4 days old! I have a power head going. So I wait for the nitrites to read high and than come back down and than i should be ok? From what I've been told the cycle is approx 3 weeks? So how often should I be doing water testing?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycling time varies. Ive cycled one in 1 week and another in 3. Its up to you how often you want to test. I tested every or every other day out of curiosity. Theres a certain bacteria that turns amm into no2 and another bacteria that converts no2 to no3. So in the end no3 should be the only thing present.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd throw those stinky shrimp,back in (or new ones). You want your ammonia to be at least 4 ppm to have a steng cycle. Also, you will want to bump up your ph, it's looking pretty low. Try pointing the power head at the surface and see if it helps. You might not be getting enough gas exchange. Also, the carbon cleans that water, and you want the ammonia in the tank for the cycle. The pad you put in is taking it out. Not something you want right now. Trust us, please. We are not trying to sell you anything and take your money. We all have a lot of experience. The key to aquaria (successful aquaria) is patience. Let the cycle happen and you will be happy you did.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer...please don't take offense.

Good luck!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com