What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i set up a small QT for my Nem to get better in and the tank is strting to grow red stuff on the glass and sand. I've also noticed a lot of bubbles on the sand bed.

On one of the rocks therev is some green plant like looking cretures and some black shiney bubbles.

apologies for quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0522[1].jpg
    IMG_0522[1].jpg
    204 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0520[1].jpg
    IMG_0520[1].jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0517[1].jpg
    IMG_0517[1].jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0518[1].jpg
    IMG_0518[1].jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 83
Bubble algae: read about it. I dont know what the other stuff is though.

I think it might be red slime algae but not sure. I was thinking about taking the sand out of the tank as its only a QT. The reason i put it in there was for the nem!

Right on both counts: green bubble algae and cyanobacteria (AKA red slime). Neither really hurts anyhting unless it grows to the point of smothering corals. (Although I vaguely remember cyanobacteria could be toxic if ingested.) It is aggravating as can be to get rid of though.

Red slime is usually attributed to low flow and high nitrates. Nutrient control (feeding less and water changes) combined with siphoning it out while increasing flow is normally recommended.

Green bubble just seems to grow from spores. You can manually remove it physically, just don't pop them as it can spread via spores. Emerald crabs will eat it.

Thanks for that. I want the best water conditions for my sebae as he's had a tough ride so far. He's starting to perk up. I'm running a small Interpet PF1 on the QT with the addition of matue live rock.

Back
Top Bottom