What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikefish_

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396037545.490432.jpg what is all this green and red stuff and how can I get rid of it?

Mos def great hair algae and cyano bacteria.

Are you doing proper tank maintenance? RO/DI water? How is the flow in that part of the tank? And what are your current water parameters?

I'm using the petco real ocean water and I have good flow and my parameters are
Ph:8.2
Ammonia:0-.25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
And I do a water change about every 2 weeks

Do you have a HOB filter or fuge? If I were you I would do a water change (preferably like 25%) and throw in a bag of phosguard! And then do another in like 2-3 days

Cut back feeding to every 3 days or so for a while and do weekly water changes until you get the nutrient issue under control. Vacuum out what you can with each water change.

And with the green hair algae, pick off as much as you can by hand and siphon out as much cyano as you can.

I have a power head and it's a maxi-jet 400 and all I have is 3 shrimp hermit crab and 2 snails I'm not feeding or anything

Somehow the nutrients got in the water. Whatever you are adding to the tank must be removed with water changes. You aren't adding any food at all for the shrimp? How long do you think they will last without food?

Shrimp eat algae and right? And no ice read that it's bad to use Tap water but I don't have enough money to buy and ro/di filter I'm using premixed saltwater from petco

I looked at petco and that's the closest fish store there's is a fish store like 30 mins from my house and I haven't got to go there yet

For the best interest of your tank you may have too? So you not have any place that sells reverse osmosed water?

No. Shrimp do not eat algae for the most part. They eat meaty foods. I have seen the pick at nori from time to time, but they are not going to be able to live on hair algae and cyanobacteria. If they did, you wouldn't be having a problem with it.

Also you can purchase Nestle water from a walmart which is great for making fish water, I used it until I could get an ro/di filter.

Back
Top Bottom