What is this ?? Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys
can someone tell me what is this on the pictures ?? Is this what they call hair algae on my back glass and on the powerheads ?? How do i get rid of this i tried scraping it last week with a glass scrapper and i made mather worse it was all over the tank sticking to my rocks and corals and now its floating around on my water so i stoped and left the backglass as it is.... Need help plz before it gets out of control

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1726120025.jpg
    image-1726120025.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2882365251.jpg
    image-2882365251.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1202246662.jpg
    image-1202246662.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3436806486.jpg
    image-3436806486.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1535914768.jpg
    image-1535914768.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 136
Looks like hair algae to me. I suggest you do frequent water changes, manually remove, feed less and reduce lighting time.

What are your water parameters?

Hair algae feeds off of nitrates and phosphates in the water. Scraping it off without removing it, doing water changes with ro/di water, feeding less frequently and in sparingly, and cutting back on lighting schedule will help.

I just started my own battle with this stuff. I had to manually remove some sand, this weekend I'll be pulling and brushing all my rock in RO/DI water along with my power heads, etc. it's not to the extent you have it, but I don't want it to get worse. I'll also be doing about a 30 gallon water change on this 120 gallon to help. I also need to find the best product for my Phosban 150.

I do my water changes 10% every week with ro/di water ,its a fairly new tank (5months old)

My water param from this morning:

Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1
Amonia between 0 and 0.25 (kinda hard to tell with the liquid test kit)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0 and 10ppm
Kh 8.2
Ca 425
Mg 1290

I leave my 6 bulb T5 on from 9am to 8pm
And the led kicks in from 8pm to midnight
Is that too much light ??
I feed once a day either pelets,mysis or flakes

Is there a special type of snails that helps with hair algae or do i have to clean that up manualy ?
What do u guys suggest thanks

I just got rid of this stuff it was bad. It only took like three weeks. All I did was reduce the lighting scedule then I did some water changes and I also mixed my sand every day and cleaned it off thee glass every couple days.

Oops meant to post a pic.

Attachments

• image-3841950754.jpg
    image-3841950754.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 115
How many hours a day do you keep the lights on ?
And also what about feeding ( is the general rule of feeding whatever they can eat in 2mins) fine ?

And is there a special type of snail that helps with hair algae ?

Thanks for help

There was hair algea there mixed in but everything is almost gone

And also what about feeding ( is the general rule of feeding whatever they can eat in 2mins) fine ?

Thanks for help
8-10 is fine.
No. 2 minutes of eating is a LOT of food. Just because fish eat something doesn't mean it's gone.
Whatever you add to the tank must be removed, by you. water changes, mechanical/bio filtration..

Thanks for help
Astria snails are great for that.

Yeah already have a bunch of astrea trochus nasarius and cerith snails with 2 turbos

Ill cut back on the hours light

Regarding food I went with the 2 minutes mark cause its what it said on the box lol

So whatever they can eat in 1 minute is fine then ?

Take a weeks worth of food in your hand. Are you removing this much nutrients as well?
i would up the water changes with good source water (R.O.D.I.), and cut back on feeding to a couple times a week.

Well my tank is a 75g and my reef octopus skimmer is rated for 150g so i hope that i am lol
I empty the cup twice a week id say

So ur saying its diatom and not hair algae ?

I see a little green here and there, but hair algae is a generic name given to bryopsis. Google that and tell me if you think that's it. Meanwhile, I have the same problem as you, and mine is diatoms. The only other thing that's slimy looking, holds bubbles, and is brown, is dinoflagellates. We need to keep the water pristine with water changes and reasonable feedings and wait it out.
dinos-
Problem Dinoflagellates and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Try to tune your slimmer to a very wet skim to wear you have to empty it almost every day or even every couple hours this will help a lot. The water should look like dark green almost like pee. Lol. Also with the light reduction and less feeding you should be good

for this problem i would definitely cut down on lighting. my tank runs from 9 to 5 with blues on all night. you should cut down !!gradually!! from the time you have to about a 5 hour run time. corals wont be affected too much. also just food for thought, did you monitor your cycles carefully? when did they start/end and what did you see spike. a five month old tank definitely can still be going through small cycles that can spike something you dont keep track of and create this problem. this is the problem i had a few months back.\

Back
Top Bottom