What is this redish algae with bubbles through it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a red colored algae that has bubbles all through it on the back of my tank. I can pop the bubbles, but a red film stays behind. Should I clean it off or do something else to it?

Also, does anyone have a good remedy for hair algae besides critters?

Thanks

What you have sounds like CyanoBacteria... You should be able to siphon it off, or scrape it off and then siphon it... The main thing is to get to the root of the problem though and that is finding out where the excess nutrients are coming from...

Critters are the best thing for hair algae unless it is bryopsis, and then it may take a lettuce nudibranch that actually eats it (haven't found one yet).

I thought I had a major hair algae problem. But I just kept adding snails, five at a time, until I could start noticing a difference. Once I got up to about 25 in my 55, and about 10 Blue-Leg Hermits, I can finally see progress. I am finally winning the hair algae battle! So I would say, get ya some critters and let em get fat and happy!

:hat:

Back
Top Bottom