What is this thing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jordipordi93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-1736314457.jpg

So i live in Australia and have a little saltwater tank about 100l and I know I buy my live rock from this shop and they say it comes from Queensland reefs and this thing crawls out have no idea what it is but yesterday found my only lion fish dead and wonder if it was this thing

So i live in Australia and have a little saltwater tank about 100l and I know I buy my live rock from this shop and they say it comes from Queensland reefs and this thing crawls out have no idea what it is but yesterday found my only lion fish dead and wonder if it was this thing

Creepy, not sure what it is, maybe some kind of poisonous worm or slug?

I would ask the people you bought it from, and tell them about your lion fish=(

to me looks like a sea cucumber which when stressed can release a toxic substance which could easily have posion your lionfish and your tank

I threw it out told my aquarium shop therefor no idea lol so yeah kinda (moderator edit)about my poor lion fish

Last edited by a moderator:
It did not kill your lionfish. When they die they can toxify a small tank, however, that creature was alive.
It's funny how this hobby is supposed to be keeping marine life in a home setting, but as soon as you see something you aren't sure of, everyone's advice is to kill it....lol.

Ah ok I thought they released toxins when they were stressed too, which if it was added with live rock it would not have been acclimated so would have been stressed but could be wrong

Ah ok I thought they released toxins when they were stressed too, which if it was added with live rock it would not have been acclimated so would have been stressed but could be wrong
Trust me, it wasn't the slug. I've had many of these things come in on uncured rock and they do just fine. They are pretty resilient, and since the rock was cycled enough to add fish to the tank, it was fine for a slug also.

If I ate coral I'd live in the coral, that's why I dip my coral to kill any pests ect. Coral is super expensive (here anyway) and the last thing I need is some weird reef slug munching on them...lol

It's a new tank just finished cycling only notice him after I added the lion... But yeah the slug was dead just floating around replace the lion with a black ribbon eel and if somehow that Disney work out just changing back to freshwater lol saltwater hard to look after

Well, if you added the eel and it hasn't died yet and you didn't do massive water changes and run carbon to remove the toxin, then we know it wasn't the slug.

mr_X said:
Well, if you added the eel and it hasn't died yet and you didn't do massive water changes and run carbon to remove the toxin, then we know it wasn't the slug.

+1. Housing a black ribbon eel is questionable even in an established tank let alone a new tank. Id suggest slowing it down a bit and doing alot more research before attempting to establish your sw hobby. Between the questionable rock, new tank, and lionfish death, it seems you may be traveling down the wrong path

Black ribbon eels are just juvenile blue ribbon eels and are one of the most difficult animals to keep. They have a very poor survival rate in captivity. I agree you should definitely research more before adding stock to the tank. Good luck with the eel.

Back
Top Bottom