What is wrong with my Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 haitian anemones in a 30g long fowlr with 36" of NO 50/50 bulbs. The larger one seems to be just fine and is host to a sabae clown. This little one's body looks jellyfish like, and the tentacles are deflated at the tips. When I purchased him he was fine and then he began looking like this and falling off the glass within the last 3 weeks. Any ideas??

[/code]

Sorry image is 113k, I cant post it but the Anemone's body is about 1 1/2inches across, and looks almost like a transparent piece of uncooked boneless chicken breast, appearing to be divided into several sections. The tentacles are a translucent pink with deflated tips. He is very actively moving around but not eating much when I feed him and the other one twice weekly. Thanks in advance!

How long have you had the anemone? Do you feed the anemone? What are your water parameters? How much (and what type) of light on what size tank?

I have had the haitian anemone for 2 months in a 30 long with one 36" 30 watt normal output florescent striplight, with 50/50 bulb. Nitrite and ammonia are 0. I have been adding trace elements bi-weekly, Iodine daily, and bi-weekly 20% water changes. I feed frozen misis shrimp every three days or so.[/img]

Karl,
Welcome to Aquariumadvice.com! I would recommend getting better lighting. Anenomes often prefer stong lighting...I believe this is the problem JMO

I agree. I dont think that lighting is nearly enough of what you should have for your anemone's. I know everyone says watts per gallon is a bad way to determine lighting, but you should probably have around 120-150 watts. Anemone also need perfect water quality, they are very hard to have and hold for long periods of time, Ive heard 3months is usually the limit, of sourse this isnt always the case, but it seems to happen often.

karlseith said:
I have been adding trace elements bi-weekly, Iodine daily, and bi-weekly 20% water changes.
IME, this is more your problem than anything else. Your constant additions and changes can be devestating to any sensitive invertebrate, escpecially an anemone. If the water changes are 2x a week, I would cut that back to once and only 10-15%. When doing so, the "trace element" and iodine additions are not necessary. If iodine is added daily, I would not be suprised if it is actually at leathal levels. Are you testing for Iodine and if so what is the level?

Condylactis gigantea is also a "cold Water" anemone so to speak and not as demanding of light intensity as most other host classified anemones would be. The 30w NO bulb is not the best idea but if that where at least a 28w PC bulb and the anemone was midway or higher in the tank you could at least get by. I would not actually recommend you go out and but that, it's just meant as a comparison. If you seriously want to keep these types of animals you should properly upgrade to a light that will support reef animals and anemones alike.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the feedback. I have been considering upgrading the lighting for a while, but was told the same thing Steve-s mentioned
not as demanding of light intensity as most other host classified anemones
From what you all say it's sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Thanks,
Karl

i agree with steve-s on the adding of the trace elements.

I feed frozen misis shrimp every three days or so.[/img]

you might want to try something with a little more nutritional value like blended fish, clams, shrimp, etc. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom