What is your dream tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If cost was no object what would you have?

It still must fit in the same space you have now for you tank or be reasonable in your house. (i.e. i have a 120 but have a perfect space for a 48x48 cube)

1. tank size
2. lighting
3. skimmer
4. sump/refuge
5.pumps/powerheads
6 controler

Mod's please reply. I am not looking for the most expensive just what everyone thinks is the best. please fill free to discuss any equipment you cannot do without (reactors, dosers)

No words needed!
img_1164873_0_095d9f6ac431ad61311037fff4c4b252.jpg

im not that far in the game so i couldnt answer several of these but ill try!

1. 180G, that just seems like a perfect size for me
2. id like to say LEDs, but it seems for larger tanks MH is the way to go, so probably 3 MH with maybe some LEDs for actinic or just good ol T5s
3. for skimming id like to over skim most likely, because if i had this setup id do an octopus/cuttlefish tank, then a reef.
4. probably like a 75 or so refuge, keep a peacock mantis in there ! (y)
5. may 3-4 koralias
6. dont know enough to say

as for extras i have no clue except getting a RR tank, thats a must. id be much too scared to drill any tank

thanks mdaniel. this was actually fun to think about!

I love either super shallow, or lots of depth back into the tank.

1. 72 x 24 x 18
2. LEDs or MH
3. Bubbleking
4. As large as would fit under my stand.
5. MP20's or40's
6. Never done much research into a controller.

1. Something deep width for good aquascaping and Reef-Ready but the overflows not in the main part of the tank. Probably something like 84Lx36Wx24H

2.MH for now leaning towards LED as technology advances. Maybe all AquaIllumination LEDs across the whole thing.

3.BubbleKing is known to have bad customer service in the states, so I would go with the biggest ATB Cone Skimmer.

4.Mmmm maybe around 75-gallons

5.Combo of Vortechs and Tunze

6.Neptune Apex

1. Something deep width for good aquascaping and Reef-Ready but the overflows not in the main part of the tank. Probably something like 84Lx36Wx24H

2.MH for now leaning towards LED as technology advances. Maybe all AquaIllumination LEDs across the whole thing.

3.BubbleKing is known to have bad customer service in the states, so I would go with the biggest ATB Cone Skimmer.

4.Mmmm maybe around 75-gallons

5.Combo of Vortechs and Tunze

6.Neptune Apex

Very nice but what is the point of the Tunze and vortech powerheads. They are both great I don't know why you would need both though

Very nice but what is the point of the Tunze and vortech powerheads. They are both great I don't know why you would need both though

Thats over a 300gallon tank and would need a lot of powerheads. I'd use the Vortechs to do majority of the work and then angle a couple Tunzes in directions you can't angle the Vortechs.

If cost was no object what would you have?

It still must fit in the same space you have now for you tank or be reasonable in your house. (i.e. i have a 120 but have a perfect space for a 48x48 cube)

1. tank size
2. lighting
3. skimmer
4. sump/refuge
5.pumps/powerheads
6 controler

Mod's please reply. I am not looking for the most expensive just what everyone thinks is the best. please fill free to discuss any equipment you cannot do without (reactors, dosers)

I am pretty close to my dream tank. Although next would be a 12'x6'x2.2'

If money was of no concern...

I have my 90g tank infront of my free standing pantry right now, I have an open concept house where my kitchen, dinning room and living room are all one large space with nothing other then this free standing pantry to seperate them..

I would knock down the pantry and have a custom tank built with rounded corners, probably about 5'L x 5'W x 4'H. I would a fully computer controlled lighting system that would fade the lights out in the evening as if the sun was setting, and fade them in come morning as if the sun was rising. I would have a computer controlled wave making system. I would have live rock professionally aqua scaped in the center of the tank from the bottom to the top, the fish would swim around it and probably have tunels threw it.

I would have a computer controlled auto top off system as well as a computer controlled saltwater exchange system which would remove water and add fresh salt water back to the tank on a schedule. All of the computer controlled things would run from a single computer.

I'm sure there's more, but that's where I would start...

-TheChad

ive always told my wife.... ive dreamed of having a custom built house where 3.5 sides of the basement were a full aquarium.... i was always thinking something around 10-12 feet tall and roughly the same front to back.... ive always said i want something large enough to have to scuba dive to clean...

something very close to this... http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2923

4c189ebe896ac.jpg

I have 2 that someday.....

Setup 1 - Community Reef
Tank size - After a couple of measurements - 48x60x31 1" low iron glass on 3 sides. with a wall overflow one of the 4' sides that end will go against a wall and the tank will be a room divider.

Lighting - DIY LED - Around 210 bulbs 70 white 70 blue 70 royal blue, meanwell dimmable drivers. Sunrise/sunset/storm/cloud/rainyday simulation

Skimmer - I guess it would have to be the Bubble King Deluxe 500 with the self cleaning head (Wow a skimmer that costs as much as a Kia;))

Sump - 300 Gallon that will support both tanks It will go under setup 2

Powerheads - As many MP-60's MP-40's and MP-10's as I need to get the desired flow in each tank and 4 big return pumps (2 for each tank)

Controler - profilux III with all the fixin's (give me a break i'm from the south) 1 should be enough to control both tanks

Other - Auto Top off with direct plumbed Kold-Steril/DI system, A BIG reactor with NP bio bellets, A BIG calicum reactor. Some kind of auto water change that will change the entire contents of the Sump.(If there is a way to have your salt mixed automaticly....That too.)

Stocking list - Every cool SPS,LPS,SOFTIE I can find. Mated pair black onyx percs, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Sohal Tang, Diamond Gobie x 2 , School of Blotchy Anthias

Setup 2 - Preditor Tank

Tank - 108x42x31 In wall in between my billard room and great room. 3 center overflows (will aquascape around each one using this - http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=146_237)

The rest in the same

Stocking list - Emperor Angel, Annularis Angel, Miniatus Grouper,Blue Mask Grouper, Volitan Lionfish, Golden puffer, Clown Trigger, naso Tang.

Everything else the same with more LED's and more powerheads

Back
Top Bottom