Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation What it takes to run a 29 gallon saltwater tank?

I've been looking into getting a 29 gallon saltwater tank for a while but have no idea where to start? I would like to spend less than $500 (with out figuring stock)but still manage to get a tank with good quality. I am thinking I want about 5 or so fish around 2in. each. I don't think i will get into much coral as I am a beginer to saltwater and only have a little experience with freshwater. Do you know if this is possible? IF so where would I start? Thanx!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Well... you're here, that's a good start, please go to the getting started topic

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/

On the sticky topics, you can read what you need to have and plus you need to decide, saltwater can be just fish only with live rock (FOWLR) or with corals as well, also known as Reef tank, so if depending on what you have, I think you can do it for less than $500. I have mine for less than that, and my tank is about 26-28gal.

bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lot of people keep nano tanks. I happen to have a 29 gallon that houses a GBTA, crocea clam, some monti cap (SPS) coral and some polyps. It has a Coralife 150HQI w/2 x 65w Actinic PCs over it. About the only thing I would change is going with either VHO light or all PC. The MH is a little warm in the summar for such a small tank. I run no sump and up until recently, no skimmer. HOWEVER, with any 'nano' tank, you need to be true to your water change (wc) schedule. At the peak of my 29s success I changed 5g of water every week with out fail. So, what does it take? The same as any other tank, a tank, saltwater, LR and proper light. Less than $500.00, sure. But consider that starting a tank on a tight budget doesn't usually lend itself to long term success. Its an expensive hobby no matter if you are investing in equipment, live stock or what. Save up you dough and buy something you'll be happy with even after the maintainence becomes somewhat routine, maybe even mundane.

My $0.02
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
I think T5HO is better than all PC, but that's just my 2 cents also... I think what you meant by $500 is just the starting point right? Not like the entire budget for maintaining. Am I right? Cause I don't think $500 is enuf to be successful, I agree with MarineFlake.
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com