what items to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the length of this message but, I have been getting a lot of great answers here and have now decided to do something a little different. I have a 55 gal FOWLR (80lbs), with 2 maxi-jet 1200's turning over my water, with a 3 inch DSB. I was going add a HOB skimmer (CPR), but, after reading some stuff here am thinking the way to go will be to save up and build/buy a sump or wet/dry and add a top quality skimmer to that when we get there. I have a clown and a royal gamma in the tank now, i intend on adding 2, maybe 3 more fish. To help combat not skimming, what types of "cleanup" guys would be good to add to the tank?
Large feather dusters? Urchins? special kind of shrimp? Starfish?
I read somewhere in here that Caplera is great to cleaning that junk out, but needs to be watched so it doesn take over, thoughts?

I do bi-weekly water changes now, but may increase that once i add the other fish.

Thanks as always for your help.

If you're looking for macro algae, try LiveAquaria for some ideas. Caul. isn't the only option. If you don't see what you like, don't worry - there are lots more not listed, this is just to give you some ideas of what you'd like to see. Here's a link: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=490&TopCatId=490

Depending on the fish you want to get, you may even be able to add some to the display tank. They have decent descriptions on LA, hope you find something you'll want to add.

Don't go too nuts with the water changes, they'll stress your fish and are likely to wear down your interest in the hobby.

I think by bi-weekly, they meant every other week, rather than twice weekly - and oddly, either interpretation would be accurate. I love how ambiguous English can get.

Look into Chaetomorpha as a macro that won't go sexual like caulupra.

Yes, bi-weekly = every other week. My apologies, payroll on the brain.

any thoughts on the other items, or are the snails and hermits i have going to be good enough for now

Back
Top Bottom