Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Not really sure what you should try but I would suggest the more conventional methods before doing anything drastic that may damage corals and such. It might be a fruitless effort but still worth a try.

Cheers
Steve

what conventional methods would you suggest?

Old 11-18-2003, 11:24 PM   #12
steve-s

Actually the link provided above those pics give some very good info on eliminating the problem. The lights only need be off for one day and then reduced to 4 hours daily after that. Manual removal, reduced feedings, being extremely careful of not introducing PO4 and other algae "fertilizers". I would never suggest using an anti-biotic in any marine set up aside from a QT. It will also destroy your bacterial filter at the same time , basically putting you back to square one as a newly set up tank would be.

Are there any fish aside from the lion?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

nope just the lion, so i will leave the light off all day tomorrow and scrub all that i can of the rocks and glass and then cut the lights down too 4 hours every day, any ideas as too how long? is this stuff going too be harder too get rid of then when i had cyano bacteria?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

the links in the article that you linked made this stuff out too be quite bad, could this stuff destroy my tank, killing the corals and my fish?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cat
could this stuff destroy my tank, killing the corals and my fish?
If it is left to spread unchecked, then yes. It will probabley just as difficult as the cyano to deal with but as long as you are diligent, I think there is a very good chance you could beat it. I would also think in a more possitive direction, it might not be dinoflagellates at all but rather a nasty mess of hair algae with cyano mixed in. You could hope at least.

I would also suggest reading up on the ph parts of the article as they seem to be key. As far as the lion is concerned, make sure you soak the foods in some removed tank water in hopes of diluting any phosphates that may come with it and discarding the water afterwards. I think with just the one fish you will not have as much problems with the qater quality as a stocked tank with many fish.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 11:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah , i hope it someting else!!!!! i will try raiseing my ph some also, do you think that i should stop soaking his food in garlic guard?
thanks for you advice
Old 11-18-2003, 11:53 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
do you think that i should stop soaking his food in garlic guard?
Yes, in fact anything that is not absolutely essencial should be discontinued including liquid foods. The lower you can get the DOC and other free floating nutrient the better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, ill stop with that for now also then, what about phytoplankton?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:18 AM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
ok, ill stop with that for now also then, what about phytoplankton?
I am unsure what affect it will have on the algae if any but discontinuing it would still be a plus as it does contribute to DOC somewhat. Unless you have any bi-valves, the worst that will happen is slower growth in your corals by not using it...

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

mabey a dumb question but what are bi-valves?

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com