Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

what kind of algae?

i notice some brown stringy algae behind a rock this morning before i went too work, i checked it a little while ago and it spread a lot, i scrubed what i could off and just noticed some more in other places of the tnak, what kind of algae is this and what will eat it and how could i stop it?

Old 11-17-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
It could be bubble algae?? Maybe can you get a pic? I know emerald crabs will eat mostly well at least mine do from what i can get outta that description. HTH

Old 11-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
steve-s

Does not sound like valonia to me. Could be a form of diatom, dinoflagellate or cyano. A pic would definately help...

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sounds like my Cyano... grows like mad, KILLS coraline algae on site! hehehe, no realy, my healthy LR is looking more and more like a boneyard each week as this cyano crap strangles my coraline.

Haven't beat it yet... post a pic, that would help...

p
Old 11-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

its not bubble, and it doesnt look like cyano, i think it might be dinoflagellate, ill look it up and let you know what it is. i have no pics of it.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think it might be brown snot algae from what iv read, but i have found any pics of it, do you know of a site with pic of brown snot algae?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cat
do you know of a site with pic of brown snot algae?
There are some in >>this<< post.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh oh, i think iv got that
but my algae is more stringy.
this could also be why my snails all droped dead "... blooms are toxic to aquarium inhabitants. Herbivorous snails may roll over, stop eating and die. Tangs that eat the dinoflagellates may stop feeding and starve to death. Sea urchins that eat them may loose their spines and die."
so i need too leave my light off for a long period and raise my ph?
my corals wont like that light off , but i guess they might die either way.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #9
steve-s

Not really sure what you should try but I would suggest the more conventional methods before doing anything drastic that may damage corals and such. It might be a fruitless effort but still worth a try.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 11:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

im not going too do this because of corals and hermits and few snails that are left but if some one got brown snot algae in there FO tank do you think erythromycin would wipe it out, i know its better too find the cause instead of useing chemicals but my friend prefers the easy and quick cures too things and used erythromycin on his cyano out break a little while ago and wiped the cyano out in 2 days, think it would kill this stuff if some one was inclined too try? also how long should i leave my lights off for? the day noticed it in my tank i put one of my red scarlet hermits by some and he munched it all down, and didnt die, think i sould add some more red scarlets too help kill it or should i avoid adding any thing too the tank untill i beat it. what made this algae appear?

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com