Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What kind of algae

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3249.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	313307 Iím stuck on either Dino or GHA I just donít understand why GHA would be brown

Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There isn't just one type of hair algae, there are many different types that 'hair algae' encompasses.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tested phosphates, but they kept reading low b/c the hair algae used them up. I used phosphateRx and put a sea hare in to clean up. Iím monitoring to make sure they donít go up, but my tank is spotless for now. Iíve also started dosing vibrant
40 Gallon Reef - School Aquarium Club Build
FishKing74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just a thought, I know nothing about salt water but I have a planted tank and I use the green killing machine (a UV sterilizer) and it will keep your tank 100% free of algae. 1000%. It's amazing. The idiot at the lfs tried telling me I didn't need it be ause they're for salt water only LOL algae is for all water. I had a severe problem cleared completely up (at least visibly) in less than 1 week. Kept it in and algae never came back. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

UV sterilizers just don't work in our end of things sadly. Not enough of the water column passes through them. We use algae turf scrubbers to use algae to fight algae with great results.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ahhh!! This makes my trip to the lfs even more hilarious! Hahahaha the guy was trying to talk me out of it and said it was salt water only. I saw videos of this thing in motion and never were they in a salt water tank. Have you heard of The Green Killing Machine?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green killing machine is a proven piece of equipment but with that said.

1. Check par check duration more blue less white
2. Increase flow.
3. Increase CUC
4. Increase nutrient export. Larger WC
5. Manual removal
6. Research vibrant
Old 07-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So, to satisfy the freshwater members in this thread, yes the GKM's work very well in freshwater applications.
Increasing the flow and nutrient export is a major part of solving algae issues in our closed systems. It will remove the built up gunk in dead spots that is decomposing. Large water changes with ro/di water, which is very important in saltwater compared to freshwater, is a great way of solving algae issues in our closed systems. It is very easy to do in our smaller systems and can be used as a way of avoiding purchase of expensive equipment to export nutrients...if only saltwater had those moss balls like freshwater does!
A clean up crew is an important part of our closed systems. Even though important, they aren't a solution to major algae issues as what is in the water column will still be there...so water changes!
As for vibrant, there is no need to dose anything in this hobby that isn't needed. I won't suggest dosing anything into your tank that you can not test for. Such products will also interfere with protein skimmers working effectively, if at all.
But with that said, looking at the picture this algae 'issue' isn't all over the tank. It is contained in a small area, possibly from it being introduced with the zoe frag. It is possible that you can remove the frag and simply scrub the algae away...but if there are excess nutrients in the water column the algae will simply return and continue to grow.
Hope this helps with your issue!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sniperhank why all the antimosity to anything I've ever said for years on this forum. I'm not here to steal your thunder. You can be the hero. Many ways to run a tank. I'm not one to dose anything but I must admit it's an incredible product. Much safer than chemi clean. Anyways your the expert right.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This forum is the least rude out of the half dozen I have been on. It's why I'm here anyways. On other sites I've seen posts pulled nearly daily for the outrageous reactions/comments to people's problems.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com