what kind of algea would be good for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all i have a nano reef tank. i have a few rocks and live sand the tank has been running for about a month.. iv been told that adding some algea may help mature the tank.. can someone please tell me what kind of algea would be best and the benefits and drawbacks of it.

algae won't help the tank mature. only time will do that. if you want some algae for looks, i would recommend something like halimeda or shaving brush- something that is rather slow growing and doesn't get out of hand. halimeda uses calcium however.

it will help export some nutrients, but only if you are pruning it regularly and removing it from the tank. those i mentioned aren't the best for that, but unless you have a separate compartment for algae, or perhaps want to convert a HOB filter or use a HOB refugium, it wouldn't be the ideal situation for you.
i would not put the other algae in my display.

I dont know if this will be benifical or not and it wont speed up the matureity why not try live seaweed not sure were u would purchase it from but its chock full of nutreints ... Just a thought would like to know if anybody out there has ever kept it and any benifits from it ...?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

why not try live seaweed not sure were u would purchase it from but its chock full of nutreints

Nutrients for what? In the SW world you are trying to keep from having too many nutrients in your tank. All they do is fuel nuisance algea.

Have you and anybody you know treid it ....?

I use macro algeas in my tank and sump. I dont need to try it. I`m still trying to figure out the chock full of nutrients statement you made. Can you expand on that?

To the OP I would not take a chance letting macro or micro algea in a nano. Too much chance of it taking over your tank. As Doug said earlier time is the only way to a mature tank.

Well it grows naturally in the sea it's like liverock it all has a reason to be there after all we are trying to replecate a small part of the ocean .as i said it was just an idea as far as nutreants go its one of the best sea veg we can eat so if it's good for us it must be very good for the enviroment it grows in do you agree ...?

i think you are referring to it as a food source. you have to have something that eats algae in order for it to be consumed. we don't even know what livestock he's got in the tank. you also have to evaluate the tank itself. will it benefit from some marine plants growing in it?
as i said earlier, if they are absorbing nutrients and then you are pruning them back it might be a benefit, but my question would be in a nano (small tank), why would you want to take up precious space with algae?
the rest of us are fighting continuously to keep algae out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom