Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What kind of corals??

I was sold a 108w t5ho light fixture 2 bulbs and was told I could keep everything but hard corals. It's on a 55g tank. After doing more research I'm beginning to wonder if that's true?? Let me know what I could have in my tank thanks.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jont82 View Post
I was sold a 108w t5ho light fixture 2 bulbs and was told I could keep everything but hard corals. It's on a 55g tank. After doing more research I'm beginning to wonder if that's true?? Let me know what I could have in my tank thanks.
Mostly. Softies would do fine. LPS if you wanted it would have to go higher up in the tank. No SPS or Anemones.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057

Mostly. Softies would do fine. LPS if you wanted it would have to go higher up in the tank. No SPS or Anemones.
+1 to this
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree as well with the above posters.

Zooa's, palys and leathers should be fine. LPS will have to placed higher up if at all. Unfortunately alot of corals are not gonna be ok with just 2 bulbs. You could always get another 2 bulb fixture and open up the selection of what you can keep.

How long ago did you buy this fixture? If it's recent enough i would swap it out for a 4 bulb unit. If you can.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick responses. Guess I'll stick to those for my first tank. Should be a good stepping stone!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

I actually got it awhile back. I purchased a small frag of hammer coral and it just doesn't open up all the way like it did when I first put it in the tank. That's what had me doing a little more research. It's opening just not all the way. I moved it up now to see if it helps but if not may purchase another 2 bulb system. Don't know how it would look though. Would changing the bulbs out help at all?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jont82
I actually got it awhile back. I purchased a small frag of hammer coral and it just doesn't open up all the way like it did when I first put it in the tank. That's what had me doing a little more research. It's opening just not all the way. I moved it up now to see if it helps but if not may purchase another 2 bulb system. Don't know how it would look though. Would changing the bulbs out help at all?
Changing bulbs would be a great idea i lean towards changing mine every year.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say you could only have low light softies. That's not much light at all. I think LPS would struggle even higher up (just not enough coverage with two bulbs).
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

sales people. Can't trust anyone anymore��
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha, I feel your pain! While a lot may be trying to make sales, a lot of people are just misinformed and believe they are telling you the right information. Good people in sales too. Just gotta do your research!

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com