What kind of corals can I keep with PC lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crick127

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a current satellite light fixture PC light fixture. It has 2 dual daylight bulbs at 65 watts each and 2 dual actinic bulbs at 65 watts each. This is on a 48" 55 gallon tank. What kind of corals do you guys think I can keep with this lighting?

Soft coral is best for beginners IMO. Try zoa's, mushrooms, and green start polyps (gsp). With the gsp's, you may need to cut them back alot if they do well.

I have some 1" frags of gsp and a few other "starter" coral Pulsing Xenia, Devils hand Leathers. I could frag and ship if you dont have a local source. I even need to trim back my macros so if your interested. Someone hooked my up when i started out my reef. I could maybe return the favor.

Pulsing Xenia is very pretty but can take over. I got some on some live rock and it does spread.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the help. I have a good LFS store nearby (www.fintastic.us) and I was there last week and saw some beautiful corals. I have been keeping saltwater fish-only and FOWLR for over 7 years but never got into corals until recently. I can't wait to get some in my tank.

I have some 1" frags of gsp and a few other "starter" coral Pulsing Xenia, Devils hand Leathers. I could frag and ship if you dont have a local source. I even need to trim back my macros so if your interested. Someone hooked my up when i started out my reef. I could maybe return the favor.
im game for some xenia frags! or any other frag!

as for wha types, I have power compacts and I have a torch, frogspawn basically the euphyllia family, some ricordia ans shrooms, zoa's I have a staghorn frag a buddy gave me as a test to see how my lighting was and it is actually doing quite well(it is at the highest point in my tank) Ialso have a long tentacle hydnophora which is in the SPS family but they are very tolerable of low lighting, very aggressive coral though! they pack a pretty harsh sting

I have pc. I keep xenia, gsp, torches, frogspawn, a plate, ricordia, mushrooms, cloves, finger leather.

All seem to be doing fantastically with my light

The frogspawn looks cool, but everyone does say they are very aggressive. I have seen pictures of the bubble coral and I think they look awesome, but I thought they were difficult to care for? Is that true?

Cool! That seems like something I would definitely like to have. Its really a really cool looking coral.

Yeah they are really nice looking. Just be careful when placing it in your tank. Just like the other corals, they need space. Because although they may look small when you put them in or when acclimating them.. once they start to feel comfortable they start to spread out and open up. If too close to other corals, they could damage each other. And we sure wouldn't want that. ;)

Yup yup. I made the mistake of putting a torch coral in the center of my little 46g tank because it made a great "centerpiece" coral. It loved it there and as it grew it could reach just about anyone it wanted to! They do NOT play well with others!

Let's just say that the torch is no longer in my tank, but in fragging it out (it was a branching type) and selling it back to different LFSs, I more than got my money back!

The whole euphyllia family (as well as the bubbles) are great corals, and great for beginners - but just make sure you put them towards a corner where they can just be by themselves.

I went to the LFS today to look at some corals. I ended up getting some. I have a small Xenia frag, and a one inch GSP frag and a very small Zoa frag, just three polyps on it. The Xenia is a nice size and looks great. How long do you guys think it will be for the GSP and Zoa to grow?

Back
Top Bottom