What kind of filtration do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was considering converting from my Canister/HOT combination to a Wet/Dry filter. My initial research has not revealed any significant advantage to a wet/dry system, technically speaking. Wet Dry Filters do provide a place to attach many devices out of sight like protein skimmers.

What kind of filtration (mechanical/biological/chemical) do you use?
(Aside from LR.)

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,

Van

55 gallon tank
I'm putting in 55 pounds of live sand and 100 pounds of live rock. Emperor 400 with bio wheels and "floss filters" removed and the media trays filled with Carbon. When more fish enter the tank a Aqua C Remora skimmer will be added..
No need for anything.

110g reef: wet/dry with no bioballs, 200lbs LR 3 poerheads, skimmer
72g SW: wet/dry and 1200gph circulatoin pump
44g SW: wet/dry one powerhead
10g mantis tank: Biowheel filter
15g brackish: eclispe hood w/ biowheel
30g Angler tank: XP2 canister 40lbs LR

I really should have a couple more skimmers. I still have to finish my 6ft counter current skimmer for my 110g then I can use that skimmer on my 72g and make another one for my 44 and 30. But with regular water changes I don't see run into problems yet.

I also run either GAC or Chemi-pure in all my tanks.

What are the advantages and disadvantages

it has been my experiance that cannister filters do not provide enough oxygen in the water. wet/dry will however due to the water making contact with the air. therefore when we moved our 55g reef into our 150g reef, we went ahead and have both a wet/dry sump w/ bioballs and marcoalgae (chetomorpha, sorry i can't spell) along with a fluval 404 filled with GAC, plus a skimmer (not sure on brand or anything that's my husband's department), and five maxijet powerheads. and our system works great, tests with excellent water quality.
so good luck!
Mermaid

As already mentioned the two major advantages are hiding equipment and the O2 factor. But the down side to a a true wet/dry is that the bioballs hold nitrates and can cause algae problems down the road. I suggest using the wet/dry, but not the bioballs.

If your not going to run a sump...just run a berlin system. LS, LR, power heads, a skimmer and lights. They work great!

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom